Grass killer

doomtrpr_z71

Just googled it. Seems like a great dual purpose premergent, I can use it on my driveway and lawn and it seems quite cost effective. I like that it controls POA, my biggest yard headache. Would you recommend it over atrazine for my centipede and St Augustine? Thanks for the info z71.
The Prodamine would be fine for the ditch, it would be good for the centipede.

Ihunt

Guys,
Just go to a farmers supply store that sells to farmers. Buy your roundup from them. If you buy generic from them, you will kick your own self in the rear for paying what TS used to charge you.

hrstille

2-4-D & glyphosate is the cheapest. If you tell me what your planting, I can tell you what all you can spray.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps “nuke” was the wrong term. There are studies that showed glyphosate messes up the microbiom. It doesn’t kill everything, but it ain’t good. Also harrowing until your plot is powder is probably worse for the soil than glyphosate.
I have never seen any tangible evidence that glyphosate does any measurable harm to the soil microbiome. It is about as inert as a herbicide can get.

chrislibby88

I have never seen any tangible evidence that glyphosate does any measurable harm to the soil microbiome. It is about as inert as a herbicide can get.
I think it’s one of those things where on 50 years we are gonna look back and wonder what we doing using it. Its one of the most overused chemicals in AG and it turns up everywhere. I think the main harm is killing all the plants that the microbes rely on, then turning the soil. Spray, undesirable plants die, the roots die, the microbes loose their main nutrient source, microbes die, turn the soil, soil dries, heats up, more microbes die, and you have dusty dry dirt that needs tons of water and fertilizer for anything to grow well.
I get it to some degree when dealing with warm season weeds/grasses. Most of the warm season weeds will outcompete non native plantings. You don’t need to spray your cool season plots though. The warm season weeds and grasses go dormant in the fall and cool season clovers and grains can grow without much competition or spraying.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think it’s one of those things where on 50 years we are gonna look back and wonder what we doing using it. Its one of the most overused chemicals in AG and it turns up everywhere. I think the main harm is killing all the plants that the microbes rely on, then turning the soil. Spray, undesirable plants die, the roots die, the microbes loose their main nutrient source, microbes die, turn the soil, soil dries, heats up, more microbes die, and you have dusty dry dirt that needs tons of water and fertilizer for anything to grow well.
I get it to some degree when dealing with warm season weeds/grasses. Most of the warm season weeds will outcompete non native plantings. You don’t need to spray your cool season plots though. The warm season weeds and grasses go dormant in the fall and cool season clovers and grains can grow without much competition or spraying.
It's also by FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR the least toxic hebicide on earth. There is nothing to replace it with that is effective and safer. I'd drink a quart of Roundup before I would want a teaspoon of triclopyr or diquat or 2,4-D spilled on my skin. There are places I have sprayed with glyphosate on a regular basis for over 25 years. Stuff still grows there just as good as it does in the surrounding areas. Don't buy into the glyphosate fear hype that is being pushed by lawyers in order to cause panic and make money.

I understand how the soil biome works, too. I am educated in soil science, and have worked in some related industry all my life. In a perfect world, we would not use any herbicides. In the real world, it is absolutely necessary unless all of our aesthetic standards and tolerance for lower crop yields are completely changed. And glyphosate is the best thing that's out there that works.

doomtrpr_z71

That's not how any of this works, soil microbes are stimulated by an application of glyphosate, tillage is more damaging than any herbicide application.