Grave Houses in Cemeteries!

Artfuldodger

“A shelter erected over or near a grave.” “Many of them [mountain cemeteries] have ‘grave houses’ - rude log and clapboard shelters - that many mountaineers customarily erect over and around the graves of their relatives.”
Grave+House.jpg

Artfuldodger

From an article reading about these it may be from Native American culture or European. Was thought to be a way of showing respect to the dead. Would also deter animals from digging up the grave.

This is interesting and related to people being buried at the top of a mountain;
I remember reading about someone who had to carry a coffin up a steep mountain. When he finally arrived at the top, he stated, “If John don’t make it to heaven, it ain’t my fault! I’ve already carried him halfway here.”

Burials on top of mountains and high places provided comfort to the family that water would not seep into the grave and disturb the departed. Most communities never willingly chose areas that were subject to periodic flooding or standing water. It also served as a symbolic gesture that our loved ones were closer to heaven and even better if the burial site was facing the east to have a better view of the coming Resurrection.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've lived in the mountains over half a century, and seen hundreds of graveyards, but I don't think I've ever seen one of those.

Artfuldodger

From what I read they were more common but as they fell in disrepair, they were torn down. My distant cousins said their Great, Great, Grandparents had one over their graves in Coffee County. It fell in and was removed in 1971.