Greenhorn

strothershwacker

Been compoundin for almost 30 years. Ordered my 1st stickbow today. I've always wanted to try. Gonna give it all I got and see what happens. I shoot a lot already. Just going old school now. I may be chiming in to pick y'alls brains on here from time to time. Gonna be humbling starting back at 10 yards!

strothershwacker

So how far y'all feel comfortable shootin these stickbows? What's your set ups? Arrows, field point weights, rght or left helical feathers? Just trying to educate myself a lil more.

Clipper

I shoot a 45# recurve and a 43# longbow. 2016 aluminum and 600 spine carbon arrows with 155 grain 2 blade broad head. What length and weight bow did you order? Hopefully a lot less than the compound you shoot. You will be pleasantly surprised how much more fun you will have shooting and hunting with a trad bow.

strothershwacker

I shoot a 45# recurve and a 43# longbow. 2016 aluminum and 600 spine carbon arrows with 155 grain 2 blade broad head. What length and weight bow did you order? Hopefully a lot less than the compound you shoot. You will be pleasantly surprised how much more fun you will have shooting and hunting with a trad bow.
58" 45#. I'm trying to decide which arrows to order. They'll be xx75's but I was thinkin I need a 2117. I see your shootin 2016s.

I shoot Douglas fir 50-55 with 125 heads out of a 54# longbow. I would try a 2016 I think that's a 500 xx75 and you want to put some wieght up front for a good FOC maybe 125-150 .Three Rivers has a great arrow spine calculator on there website. As far as shooting distance 25 yards is my Max and for helical right is the most common. Hope this helps.

oldguy

Don't know where you're located but there's two good traditional archery shoots each month after deer season. One is near Ellaville, the other near Culloden. The Ellaville shoot is the second Saturday of each month. The Culloden is the third I think. You go there folks will make you feel most welcome. Non-competitive 3-D courses and folks that will provide good information and tips. Great way to learn!

Dennis

Let us know what area you live in and I bet there's someone close that will shorten your learning curve

tree cutter 08

I'll be with ya. Just unwrapped a beautiful longbow this morning with quiver and half dozen arrows. Been wanting one for a long time and my wife made it happen!

tree cutter 08

Don't mean to hijack but I'm a greenhorn as well. Shot mine for the first time this evening and what a blast! Any tips as far as form? I was surprised at the accuracy. I could group several into a baseball at 12 yards of so then would be all over the target. Back up to 20 yards and group a few like a compound then nearly miss the whole target. Fingers were getting tender so I quit.

strothershwacker

Don't mean to hijack but I'm a greenhorn as well. Shot mine for the first time this evening and what a blast! Any tips as far as form? I was surprised at the accuracy. I could group several into a baseball at 12 yards of so then would be all over the target. Back up to 20 yards and group a few like a compound then nearly miss the whole target. Fingers were getting tender so I quit.
That's encouraging to hear Cutter! What weight ye pullin?

tree cutter 08

45lb. It's as much fun as I thought it would be! Gonna set a target and backstop up in the basment. Days are short and rainy so it will make for lots of practice time. Sure would like to be able to get a turkey with it this spring.