Grip Safety Feature On SD Handguns

chuckdog

I know I've posted similar threads on Grip Safety equipped pistols before. Ive had another recent example close to home. I'm also going to drift on to the use of mechanical safeties in general. This is one of my 4 a.m. thoughts threads. Strictly 4 A.M. opinion. No data to back up anything.

One of my Daughters purchased one of the Smith EZ .380 models. At 38 year it was her first handgun. She has been around firearms her entire life, but like many others only recently decided she needed one. The sales rep told her that women just love them. She being an adult didn't see the need to consult dear old Dad before making this purchase.

Beaming, she called and asked when she could bring her new Smith over and practice with me. I asked how much .380 ammo she'd gotten? One box of 50 was the answer. I told her to come the next Saturday around 10. I have .380 on hand and didn't want her to shoot all hers up.

It didn't take long for the grip safety to rear its ugly head. I saw her hands begin to tremble and asked what was wrong? She said it won't shoot! She handed it to me, I had no problem firing the pistol, and had a good idea of what her issue was. Her smaller hand wasn't effectively activating the grip safety. To bypass I temporarily placed a heavy duty rubber band on the grip. The pistol fired fine for her with the GS bypassed. With practice she could have overcame the grip safety. I saw what I've experienced many times myself, "buyers remorse." I told her an inexpensive grip sleeve could be used to bypass the GS and I'd look for one.

Within the week she brought the pistol to me to sell. I asked if she had anything else in mind? The answer was no. Honestly, I was relieved. I know it's a terrible thing to say about your own child, but with her lack of "Hands On" experience I feel better. I took it and traded it in on something for me. I did what Daddy's do and absorbed the loss. Even though I didn't come close to getting what she paid even in trade value I gave her all her money back.

Years ago I bought a Springfield XD compact for my then wife with the same results. She was 5' nothing with small hands. I put a small grip sleeve on the XD with good results. It turned out much better than our marriage did!

I'm guessing the small hands thing is partially why they exist. Make it more difficult for youngins' to activate.

Personally, I have a strong dislike of any grip safety. In my youth I disabled them on all my 1911's. I haven't disabled one on a 1911 in many years now. Mr. Browning didn't see fit to incorporate one on his High Power. I believe most people have too much faith in any Safety Mechanism. Our finger is the only true safety we have.

While hunting my bolt action rifles are carried with one chambered and the bolt in the lifted position. If like the Tikka where the bolt tends to slide on open, it's carried chamber empty.

Pump/Slide shotguns have one chambered and slide released.

Selfloading rifles and shotguns I'm forced to make a decision to use the manual safety or carry/store on an empty chamber. More often than not it's manual safety.

Under duress in high stress situations will the person be able to make the grip safety? Small hands lessen their chance in my opinion.

Same situation will the user remember to disable a thumb safety? We hope so. I remember being in my early 20's and deciding to take a questionable deer before the rain turned fully loose for the weekend. It was embarrassing at the time. It seems I tried to break the trigger on a Model 70 Winchester that I had left in the safety mid position and closed the bolt. "It won't fire!" As the whitetail lost patience with me and meandered off the deer still remains questionable. I was nervous, under duress mostly because I couldn't get a close enough look to for sure put bone on its head. We had very few doe days back then.

I notice Springfield is now offering some of their newer plastic pistols without a GS, and other manufacturers newer offerings now have them.

Still, of my plastic pistols I own more XD variations than any other type. Why in the world would anyone own so many pistols with a feature they truly dislike? The answer is simple. I shoot them so well! They fit my hand and come to my eyes "sights level" better than other brands. I have confidence in them, and with that confidence shoot them better than similar pistols I've picked up at anywhere near their price.

An experienced shooter knows what's necessary to operate a weapon. I don't worry about their choice of weapon in SD situations. I own a few SD/Carry weapons now with manual safeties. Before carry I make sure they are ready to fire.

Do I recommend an XD or other GS equipped pistol to some new shooters? I have. Only after explaining their requirements recommend they try one on for fit.

A new shooter with small hands? Nope. I've seen too much frustration and questionable reliability of the operator to get the proper grip.

GeorgiaGlockMan

I have an XD in 40 s&w. It is a solid gun.

My son has an mdl2 in 45 acp. I love that handgun.

I think a new shooter should test shoot a gun before they decide on their first/only gun.

Good luck finding one your daughter can run with....

SC Hunter

I will start this by saying I love my Xd pistols! My wife wanted a shield ez 9mm because it "has the safeties" she literally got mad at me when I bluntly said you won't be able to handle things if everything goes to poop. She likes my Glocks but wanted a safety so she got a shield ez. I told her before she was going to carry it she needed to get comfortable with it getting it out of her purse and shooting it without any issue. She put close to 500 rounds through it and is comfortable with it that she has a mental check list when she pulls it out of her purse. It's a very accurate pistol!

If I'm in a true self defense situation where we are right on top of each other I want a revolver, no hammer, and loaded with 357 or 38+p hollow points. It's going to go bang.

One of the local troopers got into a foot chase with a guy a year or so ago and caught him and the fight was on. Suspect got his hand on his taser and they were wrapped up fighting. The trooper pulled his pistol and tried to shoot him but the barrel was pressed into the suspects body in turn disengaged the pistol in battery. He told me "I was trying to shoot the string of bad words!" When I'm physically exhausted and being hit in the face I want something to go boom. I'm to pretty to be hit more than a few times. ? People say their ready for a fight until they are fighting someone determined to hurt them and their fighting for several minutes.

Robert28

Only gun I have that has a grip safety is my 1911. It’s the only gun I’ll tolerate having one too. If you weren’t holding it firm enough to engage the safety, it would fly out of your hand anyways with the way you were gripping it. I also don’t like safety’s on self defense guns. Especially smaller ones like you’re talking about, the safety’s are so tiny that it would be hard to learn how to disengage it in a self defense situation.

SC Hunter

@Jester896 yes they do.

@Robert28 the thumb safety on the EZ is not tiny at all. Now a regular shield with the thumb safety is a small hard to operate safety if you don't practice with it alot.

Dub

I hear ya on the grip safeties.

They can present problems....and I'm not so sure they are actually a significant solution to anything.

I have one of my 1911's where the shape of that particular grip safety is not easily defeated each and every draw. A buddy said I should change it to a different type. I think I may just pin it.....or sell it for a nice profit.

I've got one 1911 style carry pistol that doesn't even have a grip safety. I carry it cocked & locked and have zero qualms. It's one of my favorites, in fact.

don't those come in 2 versions GS and TS?

Maybe the resident Shield EZ expert will do a drive by & show up........or is he still trying to figure out how to rack the slide ??? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
1911 cocked and locked. Grip safety has never been a issue, if it is pin it. Its a natural act to drop the safety when drawing it.

That being said I have 2 XD's an OG Tactical with ambidextrous safety (I use for a woods and boat gun. now) and a XDM with just the grip safety. My wife loves the XDM so she carries it and doesn't have a issue with the GS.

Darkhorse

I've always liked a 1911. Had a couple over the years and don't remember any problems getting the hammer to fall. Then about 5 years ago I was in Sports Center and they had a Springfield Loaded 1911 in Stainless, I had been looking at this same pistol and thought I wanted one so I asked to see it. After checking the chamber and checking it out I wanted to test how the trigger felt. It wouldn't fire. The salesman said I wasn't holding it high enough. That hammer still wouldn't drop.
So I tried gripping it several different ways with no success. Then the hammer finally dropped. It took a couple more tries to get it to repeat.
I would have died in a gunfight.
My hands aren't that small. Or weak. In fact at the time I was teaching Tae KwonDo and was traveling out of town to train for my next stripe. I was lifting weights 3 times a week and running 8 miles every chance I got. I taught 3 nights a week and attended TKD classes twice a week. My hands were far from weak. But still I had a difficult time firing that pistol and decided I didn't want it that bad after all. If that grip safety is so sensitive to grip position that it might fail to fire at all then what happens in a period of duress?
Then back at Sports Center one day they had a M&P 40compact. The guy picked it up and said "This is a real fighting mans pistol. No external safety at all. Just grip it and start shooting". I was mentally calculating how many fractions of a second sooner I could get that pistol in action.
Then he said. "And because it's a 40 caliber we can give you a substantial break on the price." Well I had been looking for a 40 caliber anyway so I bought it.
This pistol has digested several thousand of my handloads with 180 grains plated bullets along with assorted SD loads. And I've experienced no ftf's or jams of any kind. Just grip and fire.
So at this point I want a 1911 just to shoot. But I want a pistol with no safety for a self defense gun. Just can't see taking a chance.

chuckdog

When I was in my 20’s I gripped a 1911 very low. I was told by more than one experienced shooter that I’d never shoot one well with that grip on the pistol.

To each his own. I demonstrated there’s more than YOUR WAY OR MY WAY to effectively and accurately shoot this platform.

I did disable the GS on them at the time. For me it was easier to level the sights with the low grip. Never had an issue with holding onto them when firing. Don’t know when I changed it, likely a gradual thing. I use the “proper” grip position now. I’ll likely never come around to liking a GS, but I’ve accepted it.

Reactions: Dub

rosewood

I've always liked a 1911. Had a couple over the years and don't remember any problems getting the hammer to fall. Then about 5 years ago I was in Sports Center and they had a Springfield Loaded 1911 in Stainless, I had been looking at this same pistol and thought I wanted one so I asked to see it. After checking the chamber and checking it out I wanted to test how the trigger felt. It wouldn't fire. The salesman said I wasn't holding it high enough. That hammer still wouldn't drop.
So I tried gripping it several different ways with no success. Then the hammer finally dropped. It took a couple more tries to get it to repeat.
I would have died in a gunfight.

There was something wrong with that particular gun. It needed to go back to Springfield. I am betting the sear spring wasn't adjusted correctly.

Rosewood

Darkhorse

I don't know enough about the platform to have a learned opinion. But I would hope there was a problem with that particular pistol and that most of them are not like that one.