Ground Hog Guns

chase870

Possum Sox
I been playing with the ground hogs a bit. If I miss one I change up guns. Missed this one with a .223 and a 22-250. The third time was the charm The 220 Swift sealed the deal

Attachments

• IMG_8314.JPG
    IMG_8314.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 54

CurLee

Thats a fine lookin rifle. My go to was the .22-250 for whistle pig poppin in open fields. 17HMR in the ear hole worked good defending the back yard. I was real close to trying the .204 before I moved out of groundhog country....fur friendly on the red fox too.

longrangedog

I've hit a few with a .22 lr and had them fall over only to get back up and run into my barn. I'd smell them later so I know I killed them. Switched to a .22 hornet and never had a single run off out of about 20. Even killed one with a S&W .38 special 2" one day when I walked around the corner of a building and surprised one. I'd rather be lucky than good!

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Not near as many Ground Hog around here as there used to be. I bought a 204 years ago. It is deadly on them. Before that I used to shoot 55 gr accelerators in a 30.06 and killed quite a few with it too.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've killed hundreds of them with a .22 LR, but a .22 mag with 30 grain V-Max rounds is about ideal.

CurLee

Looking at the OP's rifle, I'm guessing he is reaching beyond .22WMR range.

Open ag field groundhogs dont let you get very close.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I’ve killed plenty with a .22 mag pistol. Hide on one side of the abandoned railroad track waiting for one to pop outta a hole on the other side.

Stroker

Not near as many Ground Hog around here as there used to be. I bought a 204 years ago. It is deadly on them. Before that I used to shoot 55 gr accelerators in a 30.06 and killed quite a few with it too.
Used the 30-06 Accelerator's in the late 70's, early 80's. Killed a pile of Robertson, Simpson, and Logan county whistle pigs with them. Still got a full box somewhere. Moved on to the .17 Remington, 22-250 and 243. That's one thing I miss back here in Ga. When the soybeans got about 3-6 inches high the fun times were on. My record for one day is 31.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I prefer a rifle that doesn't ruin all the meat. Groundhogs are good eating.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I been playing with the ground hogs a bit. If I miss one I change up guns. Missed this one with a .223 and a 22-250. The third time was the charm The 220 Swift sealed the deal

I’ve always wanted a 220 swift. ?