Ground hog ?

GA1dad

Yup,,,, we call them whistle pigs! If they scurry into there hole to hide,, sometimes you can whistle real loud and they will pop their heads up out of curiosity. The soy bean farmers in Virginia ( where I was raised ) would welcome us to keep the numbers down. Back in the 80's many a groundhog were introduced to Savage 99 in 243.

fishman1957

I remember it was 1976 a dairy farmer friend in Vermont paid me to kill ground hogs in the pastures cause the cows would break their legs falling it the holes spent most of the spring shooting with a 22mag did the trick . put on a bunch of lbs eating homemade donuts with fresh maple syrup for breakfast every day and the best milk ever.

Wifeshusband

Their normal range was a line just north of Atlanta from the Alabama line curling northeast towards Greenville. Never saw one till I moved to the Dallas area. They seemed to be extending their range southward, but I still have not seen any around the Columbus area. I pulled over and watched one in a church yard on the Cobb/Paulding county line. They are fascinating creatures. That was a good snapshot you got.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We're ate up with them here in western NC. They will flat destroy your garden in no time flat. They are also delicious and have a lot of meat on them. The coyotes seem to have knocked them back some in the last few years, groundhogs are apparently one of their favorite things to kill and eat.

wvdawg

Staff member
I have seen them in Haralson County.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
I came home for lunch several years back and had one on my porch. I was amazed how fast the critter could skedaddle across the drive way and into some ivy.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
There is (or was) a pretty good population of them in the liberty hill/Antioch road area that will include parts of heard county. Seen many of them in that area especially in the kudzu fields there going to the Boy Scout camp. When the kudzu does back in the winter you can see their holes if you look close.

I think it was last year we had one ran over literally at the end of my parents driveway on the complete opposite side of the county from liberty hill. Haven’t seen one there before or since though.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
There is (or was) a pretty good population of them in the liberty hill/Antioch road area that will include parts of heard county. Seen many of them in that area especially in the kudzu fields there going to the Boy Scout camp. When the kudzu does back in the winter you can see their holes if you look close.

I think it was last year we had one ran over literally at the end of my parents driveway on the complete opposite side of the county from liberty hill. Haven’t seen one there before or since though.
I took the picture in the dentist parking lot in downtown hogansville , a couple days later I seen one between mall and cvs on Davis road . Been looking since and haven’t seen anymore

Hillbilly stalker

Watch the small culverts that run underneath the road, there and Rocky outcroppings is where we used to find them.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
You very seldom see one run over at least in Georgia.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I'm 1 County down 5 days a week. Don't see em much in the Hab at all