Groundhogs?

Somebody , i forget which post, mentioned shootin ground hogs in GA - yall ever seen em? I haven't, but would love to find a few!

rdhood

There are plenty up our way. I have lived in GA (Gwinnett/Cobb) for 30 years and never saw a wild groundhog until I moved to Lumpkin. Now I see them regularly at the side of the road... dead and alive.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
How far south in Georgia is their range? We don`t have em down here.

turtlebug

If I'm not mistaken, SecondSeason's first bowkill was a groundhog.

What exactly are they? Just big rodents? Like Nick said, we don't have em this far south and I'm further than him. :smash:

drumbum77

Banned
They typically do not come out during the day. They tend to come out early in the morning and late in the evening. Try to find retaining walls, and areas with a lot of kudzu. Like cmghunter said...look for kudzu and you should find them. Also keep your eyes out for burrows. They also love apples.

Good Luck! :banana:

dbodkin

Must be the red clay... I see tiny ones North of here. Nothing like the giants in PA hay fields.

goob

pasture edges, kudzu, really any THICK vegetation you'll find a groundhawg up where i'm at. The ones that stay on the sides of the road are really not that scared of passing cars, they are REALLY easy to K.O.>>>especially if you got a dually. :biggrin2: :whip:

cball917

Hoss

been after this one for a few months. he is 1 of 5 on my list. bout an hour after daylight and an hour before sundown is prime time

Attachments

• gh1.jpg
    gh1.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 992
Last edited:

Bushhog Bob

I have a big grounhog that has a burrow under a pile of lumber in my barn in Walker County. About 18 years ago, while turkey hunting , I came up on a groundhog and was surprised to find out they can climb a tree as fast as a squirrel . I figured that I must have been between him and his den. I have read that they are good to eat, since they eat grass and kudzu.