Group effort, finally got er' done

Joe Brandon

I really want to start out by thanking not only my hunting partner but good friend year round John. He is a great man and has made me a much better hunter. I also want to really thank Treecutter and Whitetailfreak for their friendship and for sharing countless experiences and giving me guidance and motivation. Those two men have given to me so freely.
Well today it looked like rain so I was going to stay home. Yesterday Treecutter said the weather man had lied the past two days so I better get up there. Woke up this morning and headed up. Found a good ridge I had been looking at on the topo and started seeing sign but not super hot sign, texted John and he said I needed to keep it moving. As I walked the ridge I noticed this bear working the right side of the ridge walking toward me. Wind was moving left to right so I knew I was good. We closed around 20 yards of distance and hit her broadside with the .308. She jumped, rain 30yds or so down in the laurel thicket and let out two very somber moans. Made me a bit sad. I then called John and he drove an hour to help me get her out of the woods. It really is an all day affair when it's all said and done. I am so grateful John drove up and again I couldn't have done this without John, Cutter and Whitetailfreak. I will say I missed a bear opening weekend with my bow up in a Chestnut Oak. This ole girl today was 135.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180926-193915_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180926-193915_Gallery.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 295
  • Screenshot_20180926-193925_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180926-193925_Gallery.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 299
  • Screenshot_20180926-194004_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20180926-194004_Messages.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:

FMBear

Way to make it happen!! Congratulations on a fine bear with a fine coat.
Enjoy the great eating you will have from your harvest!!

jbogg

I was happy to help Joe, and I enjoyed being a part of the recovery. You have offered to do the same for me countless times. Good things happen to good people, and you are one of the good ones. You are like a bear magnet this year so I might have to bring you with me next time. I will be thinking about you guys next week. I wish nothing but the best for you and your bride.

Buckman18

Great job, Joe! Congratulations!!!

Killer Kyle

Way to get it done Joe. It was only a matter of time!!! Fine loooking bear. What is the fate of this bear? Tablefare I'm sure. Doing anything with the head or hide?

Joe Brandon

Way to get it done Joe. It was only a matter of time!!! Fine loooking bear. What is the fate of this bear? Tablefare I'm sure. Doing anything with the head or hide?
Thank you brother! Absolutely. Meat is at McClures and hide is heading over to Trophy Taker in Cornelia tomorrow. They are actually going to pick it up from Mcclures for me. Thought that was very cool.