Gsp

UGA hunter

Anyone using a shorthair in the duck swamp? I was wondering how they would handle the cold water.

maker4life

Shorthairs have two coats and are water repellant like labs . They can handle about any weather Ga throws at them .

UGA hunter

Thanks maker! I've read that on here when I searched but I also read where someone else said they were using one and it couldn't take the cold. I wanted to see if anyone was using one a good bit.

maker4life

I use mine for upland birds but I've watched them on the coldest days we've had bail off into the pond just playing around . They'll swim around get out shake a couple of times and get right back in .

The breed originated in Germany of course and it's a heck of a lot colder there than we ever see here .

paulito

got a budy in alabama that hunts a german wire hair and she can't stand the cold. he stops takiung her the first of January usually because she will hunt but really won't hit the water when it gets good and cold.

I had 2 Weirmaraners that would break skim ice the few times that we would have it. He didn't like it but he would do it.

He came from stock that produced an overcoat-- some show dogs don't have the coat. The water didn't bother him but if there was a wind, I think he got chilled some. Didn't have vests "in the day". I always had something that I could wipe him down with when the wind was cutting. Simple cold didn't bother him.

Otherwise, both were bird retrieving fools. Only bird they wouldn't retrieve was a woodcock/snipe. They would point it, and if I shot it, they would find it and then point the dead bird, but they wouldn't retrieve the dead bird. After eating one, I didn't blame them.

UGA hunter

After some looking, hunting weims are few and far between. GSP's are more common.