Guess the value of this Winchester

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I had that rifle's sister, same caliber, .32-20. It had been blued, the wood re-done, and the barrel was shot, but it was all there, and it worked. Lotta 73's are missing the dust cover on top, and the twist lock for the lever.

I let mine go to a family friend for $1200, about five years ago.

That's what it took to buy mine, when sold to someone I liked, I knew wanted it, and he'd take care of it.

Values on that kind of relic are very subjective...

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I have a '94 made in 1928 that belonged to my Papa. It was re done, and still shoots good. $3600 wouldn't buy it.

Subjective...

jglenn

I have it's sister also in 32-20. Very similar condition that i purchased a few years back. Paid 1500. I wouldn't sell it for that but not a whole lot more. Really fun gun to shoot.. recoil of a 22..? have only loaded rounds with BP and pyrodex.

fauxferret

Based on serial number the MFG range is 1902-1905. This coincides with the serial number range of the 3rd production 1873. The lack of barrel bands and the distinct dust cover also confirms this. Please see the attached picture. That's directly off of the bluebooks site. Now value and percentage are subjective but these old Winchesters are worth some money. Had a customer who had an old Winchester that was left to him by a friend who passed away from cancer. Story was older gentleman borrowed some money from the individual, between cancer treatments and just staying alive realized he would never be able to repay what he owed. Gave the rifle to my client so he could leave the world square with everyone. Client brings rifle into shop to do some digging. Apparently customer had a weird one off had to call the Cody Museum near Yellowstone to get more info. Winchester rep calls back about 20 minutes later with a sight unseen offer for the rifle. Only 3 were known to have been made and they wanted one for the company collection.

Cheers hope this helps

Attachments

• winchester.jpg
    winchester.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 42

Jester896

Senior Clown
i had it as second production from the serial #

since it has a caliber marking on the lift plate that would rule out First Mode and the serial numbers stopped at approximately 30,000

Second Model serial numbers ran from about 31,000- 90,000 followed by an "A" or "B"

@80% with all bluing intact $9,000 @ 95% with all bluing intact $12,000
we can see that isn't the case

below average $675-1,325
average $1,325-$1,825
above average $1,825-$2,750

no barrel band or saddle ring so it rules out being a carbine

source 38th Edition Blue Book

Last edited: