Gun bucks or bow bucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dominantpredator

Well, it just tears me up to hear someone say, "er, that is a good buck especially with a bow" ....what is the difference in a good buck killed with a bow than with a gun? How do you determine what is a good buck with either weapon? Do you agree, that dead is dead? And do you agree that the buck, although a good one , will not be better or bigger next year for your gun kill (or bow kill) because you settled for a young 2 year old just because you had a bow? Wake up guys....let the yunguns walk.

Arrow3

Because a "decent" buck is much harder to kill with a bow.....I will shoot a 2 1/2 yo 8 pointer with my bow but not my gun....

Huntinfool

The difference is that it's much easier to get a trophy class buck within 200 yards than it is to get him within 30. At 200, he could still smell you, but he can't see you move and really has no idea you're there. At 30, your odds of spooking that deer are a ton greater.

Arrow Flinger

I agree with Arrow3. A trophy is in the eyes of the beholder whether it be a yearling or a monster and any deer killed with a bow is something to be proud of. I don't shoot 1 1/2 year old bucks with a bow but will shoot a 2 1/2 year old. He walks with a gun. That is just my standards and have been as proud and worked harder for my 2 1/2 year old bow kills as I am of my 150 class gun kill.

UGAalum13

I agree with Arrow3 and Huntinfool. It is much harder to kill a trophy buck with a bow. However, dompred is right too. We should still try to let smaller bucks walk whenever possible. Just remember, a trophy is in the eye of the beholder, it doesn't matter what others think.

Jeff Phillips

Pope & Young minimum for entry is 125.

Boone & Crockett minimum for entry is 170.

Even the record keepers recognize the difficulty of getting within 30 yards of a goodun.

coon dawg

GONetwork Member

THunter said:
Dominant,
I'm with you. I never have understood that. I can guarantee you it is just as hard, if not harder, to kill a mature buck at 200 yards with a rifle as at 20 yards with a bow. Besides, how many guys that you know that make the argument that weapon makes a difference have any truly big bucks on the wall by any weapon. VERY few I know. I agree trophy is in the eye of the beholder, however, I disagree that the weapon makes a difference. A non-shooter buck is the same whether you have a bow or a gun. Saying a buck that isn't a "shooter" with a gun, but is with a bow, is admitting that hunting with a bow is a substandard practice.

THunter
Tommy............do you bow hunt??? :huh: :pop:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
coon dawg said:
Tommy............do you bow hunt??? :huh: :pop:

now what a question:D

Personally I will not shoot a smaller buck because of the weapon in my hand. If he is going on the wall (or a mistake:p) then he will be shot no matter what.

But I have no issue with folks who will, as long as they are happy and following state and club rules.

Jim

dixie

ROFL, I LOVE reading the excuses for taking fawns with a bow!

whiskers

DP

Who put you in charge of determining what is a quality buck for every one else????????

I have my personal opinion on the topic, it is my choice as long as it is legal I will continue to follow MY choice.
You are free to follow your own choice in this matter and surround your self with like thinking hunters. In my opinion when you start down grading some one esle,s deer because it does not meet your standards, you are doing that hunter and the deer itself and hunting in general , harm.

TH
I have trophy,s harvested, and enjoyed them all. Why should I feel bad about harvesting these animals. They meet my personal standard and that is what matters.

Whiskers

Matt.M

dixie said:
ROFL, I LOVE reading the excuses for taking fawns with a bow!

Heck, with a bow it's alot harder to shoot such a small deer; I find it is helpful to aim at one of the white spots.........;)

Huntinfool

THunter said:
A non-shooter buck is the same whether you have a bow or a gun. Saying a buck that isn't a "shooter" with a gun, but is with a bow, is admitting that hunting with a bow is a substandard practice.

THunter

I totally agree with that. I'm not saying that there should be a difference is your standards with a bow or a gun. I think a trophy is a trophy. You should always let the small ones get bigger. What I AM saying is that there is no question that getting a mature buck to walk within 20-30 yards of your stand is definitely tougher than getting him to come within 200....at least for me it is.

I think "especially with a bow" doesn't mean that the standards are lowered. It just means it was that much tougher.

ryano

Banned
I will gladly take the first 2 1/2 year old 8 pointer I see with my rifle no matter if he is 30 yards away or 200 yards away.

I would also be headed to Woodys with said buck and be just as proud of him as if he were a 200" deer....

No, I dont bowhunt............ :pop:

Last edited:
H

HT2

Brandon..........

Arrow3 said:
Because a "decent" buck is much harder to kill with a bow.....I will shoot a 2 1/2 yo 8 pointer with my bow but not my gun....

You are exactly right!!!!!!!!!!

I'm of the same opinion as you.......

coon dawg

GONetwork Member

THunter said:
John,
No. :D I think if Indians would have had a choice, they would have chosen a rifle. :D :D I'm not in to the so called "challenge". I don't think you determine what you shoot based on weapon do you?

"TH
I have trophy,s harvested, and enjoyed them all. Why should I feel bad about harvesting these animals. They meet my personal standard and that is what matters."

I didn't say you should feel bad. I agree, if they're a trophy to you, take it. I've got some smaller bucks on my wall that are a trophy due to the circumstances. I just agree with DP that the weapon shouldn't make the determination in what's a "trophy" or not. Those smaller bucks I have I would have shot them with a bow had that been the situation, but not simply because I had a bow.

THunter
lolol....Tommy.......hunted a friends farm in PA for years.............those first comments about the Indians guns/bows were his words exactly!!lol :D :D :D

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
dominantpredator said:
Well, it just tears me up to hear someone say, "er, that is a good buck especially with a bow" ....what is the difference in a good buck killed with a bow than with a gun? How do you determine what is a good buck with either weapon? Do you agree, that dead is dead? And do you agree that the buck, although a good one , will not be better or bigger next year for your gun kill (or bow kill) because you settled for a young 2 year old just because you had a bow? Wake up guys....let the yunguns walk.

Your views are different from everybody elses DP.

To each their own. There isn't nothing wrong with a guy shooting any size buck as long as they're proud of it.

I personally don't want to shoot a buck with bow or rifle unless he's mature. But's that's my view.

I do agree with everything you said, but a lot of fella's are woke up to their own views of hunting, and I see nothing wrong with that.

Tommy

Status
Not open for further replies.