Gun bucks or bow bucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GA DAWG

I got one from dawson forest last year.He was 4.5.I didnt score him but will say he will be shy of 100".I'd take him any day on public land.I am not gonna shoot anything smaller with a bow than I am with a gun.I like them mature old bucks regardless of score.I'm after a 5.5 year old right now.He aint pretty and want score good but HE IS THE MAN!

Heathen

dominantpredator said:
Just making a point that it doesn't matter what you killed him with. A good buck is only a good buck if he is a good buck. Not if he only gets killed with a bow. If that was the case you would be trying to kill button heads with sling shots and saying , that is a good buck with a sling shot. It is not arrogance, my friend. :whip:
If it's not arrogance then what is it? Why do you think the qualification for Pope and Young is so much less than those for Boone and Crocket if it were not more difficult to take a trophy buck with a bow? I could care less if I kill a big un by your standards or not, I enjoy hunting for the simple fact of enjoying nature. I also like the taste of the meat, never tried to eat the antlers how do they taste since that seems to be all your interested in? :crazy: I don't bow hunt, but I know it is more difficult to get a nice buck into bow range than it is to get one into gun range. How far were the ones you shot? I don't quite beleive that the bucks in your area do not gain any more mass than the pic of the three on your wall. I have hunted in Meriweather which is right next door to you and know for a fact that the trophy bucks there do get quite a bit more mass than those in your pic. Now if you don't mine please answer my questions and will see if you can change my mind, which I don't very seriously. I would expect the dominantpreditor :rolleyes: to have bigger bucks than your pics, except maybe the first pic.

Last edited:

Lostoutlaw

I've baked them roasted grined but themthar horns just don't digest that well let alonetaste but them old bucks shore taste tuff to me so I pretty much stay with the Doe's but then I'll take the ole buck ifin he comes my way!!!! just my 2 and a half cents worth.

Scout-N-Hunt

Arrow3 & Arrow Flinger already said it.

dominantpredator

Heathen said:
If it's not arrogance then what is it? Why do you think the qualification for Pope and Young is so much less than those for Boone and Crocket if it were not more difficult to take a trophy buck with a bow? I could care less if I kill a big un by your standards or not, I enjoy hunting for the simple fact of enjoying nature. I also like the taste of the meat, never tried to eat the antlers how do they taste since that seems to be all your interested in? :crazy: I don't bow hunt, but I know it is more difficult to get a nice buck into bow range than it is to get one into gun range. How far were the ones you shot? I don't quite beleive that the bucks in your area do not gain any more mass than the pic of the three on your wall. I have hunted in Meriweather which is right next door to you and know for a fact that the trophy bucks there do get quite a bit more mass than those in your pic. Now if you don't mine please answer my questions and will see if you can change my mind, which I don't very seriously. I would expect the dominantpreditor :rolleyes: to have bigger bucks than your pics, except maybe the first pic.
A P&Y is a score of 125'' not 100''.....hence,why lower your standards to less than that? I guess I figure if I can get a buck that would make the book with a bow than I will gladly shoot him with my gun or my bow. I would not , however, shoot a 100'' buck with my bow just because I would shoot a 125'' with my gun. My point being, the DEAD buck is the same. Quit fraternizing the point that I said one was harder than the other. Of course it is. I did not disagree with that at all. The buck on the left scored 125 and was shot at 18 yards . The middle buck scored 121 and he was shot at 75 yards. The buck on the right was shot at 150-160 yards and he scored 137''. The pic of the deer in the other photo was killed at just over 200 yards and grossed 131''. I love the meat too. And man oh man , I LOVE THEM ANTLERS!!! ::ke: As far as mass goes, come put your hands around them . They are nice, just not Coke cans. Oh well, heathen....you make up your mind what you want...I know what I am out to kill this year. I think all your questions are answered, friend. :whip:

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
my,

that middle buck dropped 7 inches.....just since post #65.......... :D............good luck to everyone, bow or gun, this season....I'm outta this one.........that GON top ten list is a good indicator of what kind of buck each COUNTY is producing..........ya'all check it out........ :D

Last edited:

Heathen

dominantpredator said:
A P&Y is a score of 125'' not 100''.....hence,why lower your standards to less than that? I guess I figure if I can get a buck that would make the book with a bow than I will gladly shoot him with my gun or my bow. I would not , however, shoot a 100'' buck with my bow just because I would shoot a 125'' with my gun. My point being, the DEAD buck is the same. Quit fraternizing the point that I said one was harder than the other. Of course it is. I did not disagree with that at all. The buck on the left scored 125 and was shot at 18 yards . The middle buck scored 121 and he was shot at 75 yards. The buck on the right was shot at 150-160 yards and he scored 137''. The pic of the deer in the other photo was killed at just over 200 yards and grossed 131''. I love the meat too. And man oh man , I LOVE THEM ANTLERS!!! ::ke: As far as mass goes, come put your hands around them . They are nice, just not Coke cans. Oh well, heathen....you make up your mind what you want...I know what I am out to kill this year. I think all your questions are answered, friend. :whip:

Coweta....yeah, the mass is not like what you see around Illinois....and some of the counties along the Flint River.....we do well here though. Only a few of that I know that gross really well have ever come from coweta ...but, there have been some. The three half grown ones there in the second photo were killed by me...125, 128, and 137 and some change.....really decent bucks from this area. I killed a 7 point last year that was 51/2 that scored around 120.....he was a brute and holding a 110'' 10 point away from his doe; I hope he made it.
Well first off get your story straight before you post what you say to be the truth. I never said what the min score for Pope & Young was, I know it is 125 and B&C is 170. I must have been mistaken cause the way you came across it was not what you stated above. By the way I would appreciate you not calling me friend you seem to be using it in a sarcastic way and if you didn't mean it that way I would still perfer you to not use the term. How come your one buck lost seven inches from one post to the other? I was just looking at the GON record book for Ga. How come none of yours is listed? They have a total of 64 bucks listed from Coweta Co. ranging from 170 3/8 to 120 7/8 so don't tell me that deer in your area don't have much mass as other counties that are near you. You really should research the facts before you say something that comes back to bite you on the butt. Cause at this point not much you say is believable to most folks on this board. You can't pee on my boots and tell me it's raining I know better, try it on someone else who doesn't,
Mr. Dominantpreditor. :rolleyes:

Heathen

coon dawg said:
that middle buck dropped 7 inches.....just since post #65.......... :D............good luck to everyone, bow or gun, this season....I'm outta this one.........that GON top ten list is a good indicator of what kind of buck each COUNTY is producing..........ya'all check it out........ :D
Coondog knows what time it is..... :bounce:

dominantpredator

Heathen said:
Coondog knows what time it is..... :bounce:
Yes, I quess I did make a typo error....oh well, you don't believe it anyway. However, you are very welcome to come and check it out ....all of them. I know what I got and it works well for me....you keep hunting the way you are and I'll be satisfied hunting the way I do. An old man told me once, "if'n you keep doin the same thang, you keep gittin' the same thang." Boy, I sure hope so. Oh and I want pee on your boots either. My bucks are not listed because I have not registered any of my bucks. My taxidermist's name is Steve Bradley (newnan). So, before you go and try to make me into a liar....you, my friend, should check out the facts. That goes for you too coondoggy. :mad:

raghorn

Arrow Flinger said:
The day I have to "do the math" and allow number to determine a trophy for me will be the day I quit hunting.
Great philosophy, I couldn't agree more.

coon dawg

GONetwork Member

dominantpredator said:
Yes, I quess I did make a typo error....oh well, you don't believe it anyway. However, you are very welcome to come and check it out ....all of them. I know what I got and it works well for me....you keep hunting the way you are and I'll be satisfied hunting the way I do. An old man told me once, "if'n you keep doin the same thang, you keep gittin' the same thang." Boy, I sure hope so. Oh and I want pee on your boots either. My bucks are not listed because I have not registered any of my bucks. My taxidermist's name is Steve Bradley (newnan). So, before you go and try to make me into a liar....you, my friend, should check out the facts. That goes for you too coondoggy. :mad:
have a great day DP. :)

coon dawg

GONetwork Member

dominantpredator said:
Well, it just tears me up to hear someone say, "er, that is a good buck especially with a bow" ....what is the difference in a good buck killed with a bow than with a gun? How do you determine what is a good buck with either weapon? Do you agree, that dead is dead? And do you agree that the buck, although a good one , will not be better or bigger next year for your gun kill (or bow kill) because you settled for a young 2 year old just because you had a bow? Wake up guys....let the yunguns walk.
ya'all be proud of whatever you shoot..........apparently everybody's idea of what constitutes a "good" deer differs(including mine)...........take care,have fun, and have a great deer season..........that's all that really matters here. :)

dominantpredator

coon dawg said:
ya'all be proud of whatever you shoot..........apparently everybody's idea of what constitutes a "good" deer differs(including mine)...........take care,have fun, and have a great deer season..........that's all that really matters here. :)
Good Luck to ya my man.....I hope you score on one that makes all our heads spin.....

coon dawg

GONetwork Member

dominantpredator said:
Good Luck to ya my man.....I hope you score on one that makes all our heads spin.....
the same back at ya, DP........have a great season!! :cheers:

Heathen

dominantpredator said:
No one is trying to make you into anything, if you take offense maybe your guilty who knows. I just know there are better bucks than the ones you have in Coweta Co. I have a friend who lives down there and he's seen them crossing the roads at night going to and from his home. Why you gotta try and belittle Coondog? He has said nothing but nice things other than mentioning your error. I have checked out the facts and posted them in my last post. I would never be no friend of some arrogant, holier than thou person such as......well you get the pic I'm sure, if not PM me and I'll spell it out for you. :bounce:

Ol' Buckmaster

coon dawg said:
dude...........I'm all about age....NOT rack size.......... :

Sorry, but I couldn't resist.

Attachments

• Cd.jpg
    Cd.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 40
Status
Not open for further replies.