Gun Recommendation

deerbandit

Looking for gun recommendations, I want to be able to shot anything from 2-3/4" to 3.5". Want 26" or 28" barrel, semi auto and camo. Gun will be used for turkey, dove and duck. Would like to stay below $1,000. Any input you can provide would be great.

Huntmaster2

I really like the Mossberg 930, but it cannot shoot 3.5" shells. If you want 3.5", then the 935 looks good too. I have never shot or handled one, but if they are close to the 930, then it is a great gun.

Another consideration is the weight of the 930/935. I wouldn't want to carry it turkey hunting a lot because it is heavy, but that is good to reduce the recoil of the higher payloads. Kind of a tradeoff there.

27metalman

Go and handle as many guns as you can and go with what feels right. Having a gun that shoots 3-1/2" is not worth the extra money in my opinion, but I have a SEBII. The M2 holds and points the same to me. A friend of mine went and held a bunch of guns... ended up with a Winchester. It feels good, too. I'm left handed --- my options are a bit more limited.

kevbo3333

If you want to stay around 1k look at a Beratta A350. I think a sx3 is around that price and is a pretty good gun also. I would save up a little more and get a A400 and be done with it.

ucfireman

I really like the Mossberg 930, but it cannot shoot 3.5" shells. If you want 3.5", then the 935 looks good too. I have never shot or handled one, but if they are close to the 930, then it is a great gun.

Another consideration is the weight of the 930/935. I wouldn't want to carry it turkey hunting a lot because it is heavy, but that is good to reduce the recoil of the higher payloads. Kind of a tradeoff there.

Alexanders in Blairsville has them on sale. 399 Im wanting one too..

rnelson5

Franchi Affinity or M2 American.

txc35

Banging around in a duck boat/marsh gonna mark it up a fair bit. Remington 870 can take all that pain and still work. I would not feel to swift about dinging up a $1000 shotgun - just a thought.

TomC

Winchester SX3 Max5 Camo (NOT THE SX4) if you can find one!!!!! There is not a lighter shooting semi-auto under a $1000 with a better track record than the SX3!! Remington V3 is building quite the reputation but its still a relatively new gun and IMHO the SX3 just feels better in the hand. I like Beneli and I like Franchi guns but I also like my shoulder :). I too would question the need the a 3.5" gun with today's loads unless you are shooting geese flying at 747 altitudes but by all means if you have your mind set on it.

Last edited:

killerv

Benelli, but not for under 1000 unless you get used

Go with a 26in barrel, its a little more "well rounded" length for mutiple uses. A 28in on a 3 1/2in receiver will give you fits in a turkey blind.

deerbandit

I went with a Benelli Montefeltro 12ga in 3”. After thinking about it 3.5” was only going to be used on turkey and geese so not that big of a deal. Got the gun, extended charging handle and extended range choke (plus standard ones) shipped for $724.

Reactions: Dub

Beagles N Boykins

Everyone has their favorite, but I’d do what a few others have told you. Benelli. Get the M2 American or find a used Vinci. I’m clumsy as all get out and my Vinci goes swimming regularly. I dropped it and myself in a flooded rice field yesterday and it banged away the rest of the day. With magblends for turkey and heavy metal for waterfowl I really don’t see a need for 3 1/2 unless you just don’t like yourself. Handle a lot of guns. The SX3 or beretta a300 are great guns too. Get what fits you and remember most come with shims. If you can find one look at Retay a lot of the guides are using them. Good looking Turkish guns that are inertia driven.