Gun Suggestions

goodoleboy1012000

What gun would you guys buy if you were looking to buy a new rifle to make shots up to 450 yards but the average shot should be between 200 - 300 yards? Looking for ideas before I go off and buy something WAY to big.

Swamprat

Swamprat
I would say something in the range of a 30-06 or a 7 mag. With practice a 270 or 280 can be lethal at that distance but it is a little to light of a caliber in my opinion out that far.

I mostly shoot a 280 but i also know my own personal limitations and you should find yours as well. Not a knock on you or your shooting skills but i have seen way to many people think a larger caliber will make up for sloppy shooting skills. It is all about finding a gun that you can shoot confidently and shot placement.

Handgunner

I would not hesitate to take a shot at 450 yards with my 7mm Rem. Mag... providing conditions where PERFECT. Rock solid rest, practice at the range, no wind, relaxed deer, etc... and providing I KNEW the ballistics of my round to a "T".

What build are ya? If you're 125lbs, 5'2", I wouldn't recommend the .300ultra mag... :D

If you're not recoil sensitive, the magnums would serve you well -- providing range and knock-down.

Thing is, don't go too big. Get something flat-shooting, comfortable to shoot and that you can practice with, religiously.

If something pounds your shoulder every shot, more than likely, you'll develop a flinch, and won't practice as much... resulting in poor accuracy.

One key to long-range accuracy that I firmly believe in, is a trigger job. Shooting long ranges, you dont' want to be yanking on a 7-8lb trigger. Get one smooth, light, and crisp!

Swamprat

Swamprat
Heck Delton at a 1/4 mile away the deer won't even know you are there. Ain't nothing like busting one out in the middle of a clearcut figuring he was safe being so far from any edges that contain hunters.

Delton is right about having trigger work done, makes a world of difference.

Handgunner

Swamprat... You have a point. :D

But, I've been known to spook deer at a whole lot further distances. ::ke: :D

W4DSB

first choice for this range 300 weatherby magnum
second choice 7mm remington magnum

I find myself with the 7mm magnum most of the time because I love my Browning BAR :cheers:

red tail

GONetwork Member
I just bought a 300 weatherby mag and It will do the job. The rercoil is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It is a good shooting gun but ammo is high.

goodoleboy1012000

Thanks

For all the feedback sounds like a 300 is what I will be shooting. But I was thinking 300 Win instead of weatherby any thoughts on that? Also the one Im looking at is a Savage with Accutrigger 110FP with the heavy barrel. And still looking at scopes

Thanks,

Last edited:

Handgunner

The .300win. mag will be cheaper to shoot and easier to find ammo for...

DaddyPaul

arhunter,
What are "we" shooting? I may have missed it somewhere along the way? My opinion, a .300 win mag, weatherby mag, wsm yadda yadda yadda are all too big for whitetails and the country they roam. Where are you hunting that the average shot will be 200-300 yard shots? Even in pastures and big green fields unless you have practiced a bunch and I don't mean go to the range and hose 20 rounds through it at 100 yards a 450 yard shot is no cinch. You have to shoot at extended ranges and become intimate with the trajectory of your hunting round. Get yourself a good laser rangefinder if you don't have one already. I also make a "drop chart" and tape it to my gunstock or scope so I don't have to remember everything. My caliber of choice for deer hunting is the trusty ole .270 Winchester with hand-rolled Hornady 130 grain Interbonds at just over 3100 fps out of my Encore. I don't know if I helped or not, sorry to ramble.

carabrook

Gone But Not Forgotten
Long shot rifle

I have always enjoyed distance shooting over close up stuff and most of my rifles are scoped to do just that. A 30-06 has aways been my gun of choice but that is partly because the particular gun a model 670-A fits me great, shoots real tight groups and has a good trigger.

Do not go cheap on a scope. I use a target type scope with range adjustable crosshairs so that I am not guessing at hold over and 50mm lens for light gathering clarity.

Like someone said the good news is they don't know your there. I shot two good does one morning standing side by side at just over 400 yds and the first one went down like a rock and the second stood there looking at the first while I steadied and made the second shot. Conditions were perfect, no wind, a great rest, shooting across an open clearcut.

I would also suggest that you stick to some heavier bullets like 180 so the wind is not a factor and go nossler with boattail, loaded up as quick as you can get them.

My other suggestion is practice/practice/practice at a range and dont even try it unless you are doing small circles at 400 yds on paper

then its a riot.................................

Unfortunatly where I now hunt about the longest shot I have is 250 yds but the good news is lots of deer........

sniper13

EXCELLENT :D
They are used ( in the right hands) out to 1,000 yds.
My loads using 150 BTSP bullets @ 200yds range between 1600 to 1873ft/lbs of energy left to disrupt the target.
:shoot:

DaddyPaul

I agree with Sniper13 on the .308. Too many police departments and military units using them for sniper and counter sniper work for them not to be good. I would rather have someone shooting at me with a big magnum they were scared of than someone with a .308 that had done his homework! The .308 will be fine for your situation. Get a good scope, a rangefinder and a bunch of bullets!!!!!!!!!!!! Practice all you can and know what you are capable of pulling off before you head out there.

HORTON

I'm not a balistics expert, but when someone told me one time that our snipers use the .308, I did not hesitate to get one myself. I've had it for 20 years now and have not lost 1 deer. Probably 50 - 60 all total.
I also recommend a bolt action or single shot (Encore) over the automatics. Again, not an expert here, but I was also told our snipers use the bolts because they allow all the energy to push the bullet because the bolt does not move. Whereas the automatic uses some of the energy to help eject the shell. Definitely more consistent with the bolt action.

I prefer the Rem. 700 BDL, w/ Bushnell "Firefly" 3 X 9. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Scout-N-Hunt

270Win, 280Rem, 308, 30-06, 7mm Mag, 300WM with at least a 130gr pill for the 270, 140gr for the 280, 150gr for the 308 & 7Mag, 180gr for the 300WM.

I'm a 280 fan and prefer driving her in a Rem 700 w/ a nice, light trigger & McMillan stock using handloads.

Any of the above mentioned calibers will work at ranges mentioned, but of equal or possibly more importance is balistics knowledge of the given load, the shooter's ability to read conditions (ie. distance, wind), and experience shooting at given distances. Range finder is a must in my mind, as is shooting year round.

Savage 10FP/110FP are known tack drivers, but definitely not a 'walking rifle'. Fine if you're hunting from a stand. A good scope is also a must in my opinion, along with a quality base(s) & rings.

Good Luck with your choices.

H

HT2

Man!!!!!!!

Ya'll are all better shots than me!!!!!!!!!!

Heck, I can't even see 450 yards and decifer what it is..........Much less shoot that fer!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
The next gun I buy will a Browining A Bolt Stainless Stalker in 7mm WSM.

I just want one.

I'm sure that would fit your bill as well.

Tommy

Fluke

I shoot a 300 win. mag and I love it. But mine is a Rem. 700. I personally prefer Remington or Ruger. But its your money and will be your gun so I say buy what you like.