Guns, Doodles, Old Dogs and Men 2020-2021

Nimrod71

Great Post. I love Brit's too. I miss my two, Ben and Belle. We spent many a day in the fields and woods. Good Luck and Keep Going.

Reactions: GLS

BBond

Last year I gave y'all an update on GADNR participating with Univ. Maine on woodcock research. Last year we banded 63 and put transmitters on 12.
This year was a little harder. We banded 48 and put transmitters on 11.

Of the 11, 10 have gave locations and 4 of those have moved off the WMA. 3 of the 4 have left the state (1 in KY and 2 in NC so far). Last year the half the birds had left by 2/27/2020 and so far this year about a third have left the state. So it seems the Spring migration is a little later this year.

I will try and update every so often when I can.

Out of last year's birds 2 went back to the same WMA they were captured on. One was harvested (transmitter bird no less - had traveled over 1,300 miles to News Brunswick and returned back to same WMA) and the other we caught again this year during our banding efforts. So that was pretty cool

BBond

Out of the 10 birds giving locations
3 are in KY
1 in VA
1 in TN
1 in NC
the other 4 still are showing on the same WMA that they were caught on.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Thank you for the updates.

Redbow

Thanks for your story I really enjoyed reading it. Nothing IMO is better than being afield with a fine Dog and a shotgun. May you have many more years of hunting with your Dogs.

7dawg9

I have a few old British SxS 12 gauges that I use from time to time. RST shells, 7/8 oz. I agree with you, British guns are light, but durable. Some turn their noses at 12 ga for quail, etc, but 7/8 oz is 7/8 oz, no matter what gauge it’s in.

BBond

UPDATE:
The birds have all left GA now and they have scattered.
There are 2 in KY and 2 in VA.
There is 1 bird in each of the following: IN, MA, MD, NC, OH, and WV

asc

Good read, thanks.
My Lucy is 13 and blind, winter 2020 was the last wild bird hunts for her, however i did take her to a preserve this year, bought some birds and turned them (and her) loose in an overgrown field. The nose still works fine.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
That’s pretty neat to know where and when the birds are. Thank you for the updates.

mlandrum

Well, my season this year was interrupted by me and my wife's battle with corvid! From January2021 we were really sick, took the shots and got sick with both of them. This was little "Scouts" first year but got to make only 3 hunts but the first hunt was fantastic with one flush and one retrieve and the second and third hunt were great with 4 flushes deep on the Altamaha River , then the covid hit? This year were getting ready with retrieves every day and I can't wait for December! See yall in the fall:cool:IMG_1644.jpg

SLY22

Useles Member !
Well, my season this year was interrupted by me and my wife's battle with corvid! From January2021 we were really sick, took the shots and got sick with both of them. This was little "Scouts" first year but got to make only 3 hunts but the first hunt was fantastic with one flush and one retrieve and the second and third hunt were great with 4 flushes deep on the Altamaha River , then the covid hit? This year were getting ready with retrieves every day and I can't wait for December! See yall in the fall:cool:View attachment 1080691
Glad you guys recovered and doing better!
Great picture of Scout!

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Mike, glad you pulled through. We're less than 7 months from the season. A friendship of 50 years ended with a buddy's death from covid complications this winter. We hunted quail on his place on January 19th, he got sick the next day and went downhill fast.
Here's a tribute on another forum I posted about him.
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=593214&page=1
Did I understand correctly that you got the virus after the shots? Gil

Last edited: