Habitat management small success

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I did some hack and squirt along with girdling and out right cutting some trees down in February of this year. Mostly sweet gum and privet removal. This pic shows the closed canopy on the left and a couple of months growth of open canopy on the right. Sunlight does some good things for browse.48E521C9-2704-4651-A6F7-1689BAA6B90C.png

fireman32

I like to hinge cut also even my shooting lanes where I can. Looks really good
This is a small 40 acre mostly hardwood parcel that’s pretty open. Thinking I’ll try some hinge cutting around the property line this winter. Does feed through here often, but bucks not so much other than during the rut. My goal is thicker “safer” habitat all year long.

Ihunt

Just watched a video on YouTube about a 60 year study on control burning. Pretty good watch for those that are interested. Can’t remember the name of the video but I’m sure it can easily be found.

Long Cut

Just watched a video on YouTube about a 60 year study on control burning. Pretty good watch for those that are interested. Can’t remember the name of the video but I’m sure it can easily be found.

Believe it was either the MSU Deer Lab or the University of Florida. Regardless it was a Southern State and the longest scientifically documented controlled burn experiment ever conducted. Very educational and displays the significance of fire in the landscape.

TJay

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
That's a good question .... I sure don't have an answer!

fireman32

That's very interesting. Two years ago I cut down a black gum on my property right in front of the house. The stump sprouted just like what was described in the video and the deer just hammered it. The one thing I've noticed is they are not on it as hard this year. I just wonder if the minerals "level out" over time?
I’d think the more a stump is cut or eaten back the less minerals and nutrients it would have over time.

Triple C

Pretty sure that was put out by MSU Deer Lab, both in podcast form and YouTube

fireman32

D1ABCEB3-34A0-4CC1-94C7-CC92775234E0.jpeg
@Canuck5, here’s a “mineral stump” on my place. One of the oaks I removed earlier this year, it’s seen some browsing pressure. There are two more near it that are also browsed, they are oaks too. No evidence of any sweet gum sprouts being eaten yet.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Good info.!!!

mattb78

I know the guy said they were down in Florida.
That is Dr. Marcus Lashley.

What surprised me about the findings were the difference in habitat the same time after fire but with different fire intervals.

So property on a 2 year burn rotation versus a 3 year burn rotation will have significant more hardwood growth after fire because even through they get topkilled they grow back quicker.