Had any luck negotiating on new cars lately?

tad1

If I ever buy another new car, I've thought about deciding on the model, trim line, color, etc. first. Then I send an email to all the dealerships for that car in about a 50 mile radius asking for their best walkout price. Give them 24 hours.

Reckon any would respond? Anyone tried it?

I’ve done this very thing. The email to try and find is the Internet sales manager, if you can find their email that’s the one to send it to. Some of the dealerships were antiquated, and it was hard to find a phone number. They desperately want you to call/come in in person. Some dealerships did not respond to my email. Most did. I don’t know if I saved all of my quotes, but they were not crazy far apart, maybe a few thousand dollars at most. (still well worth getting multiple quotes.)
You can plainly tell the dealers who run volume and are up-to-date on modern technologies.
They will plainly reply and give the information you’re looking for: out the door pricing.
Now, this is only gonna work well on vehicles that are relatively more common/available, it helps to identify the trim package and specifics.
I would go onto their website and give them their exact product inventory number of the vehicles I was requesting a quote on so that there’s no room for moving around trim packages etc. I did end up calling two or three dealers, some started getting all “what are you trying to do” on me and I’m like “trying to get the best price I can, are you going to give me a quote or not”. The best quotes I got were both fairly higher volume dealers within a couple hundred dollars of one another. You could likely get them to negotiate further by telling them you got a better quote, but I like to keep my cards close to my chest. I did call my local dealer to give him an opportunity to do better so I did not have to drive quite as far, but he just couldn’t come correct.
Anyway, the process seemed to work really good for me and that’s the process I’m gonna use in the future.
JT

DannyW

Ask for a drive out price excluding tag,tax,and title.

I have done this my entire life, except I include everything including tag, title and tax.

I don't care where the money is being applied, they can charge me $10,000 for "documentation fees", I just care about the amount I'm writing the check for. Spread it around however you wish.

Now if I'm trading in a car, I separate the two deals. In other words, I have a deal on the trade-in and the new car. I don't know how many times I have heard the story "they gave me $3,000 more for my trade-in than it's worth...I really took them!"

Yeah, and how much did you give for the new car?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Checking in again

No Again.

They had 2 new ones on the lot.

Used ones for practically the same price.