Had to leave them overnight

Carl4th

Yesterday I took my older cur out with my five month old pup. Both had the garmins on so I cut them and let them run for a quick evening hunt. The younger pup was staying with her as she started to range out a little further then usual. When they hit about 500 yards I started to call them back but they had either not heard me or ignored me. The last point said 1.5 and had lost communication with dogs. We were hunting in knobs state forest so I tried to get to the highest point thinking maybe I was a lot lower then they were. I stayed in the woods until midnight with my family but decided to turn back. We went back around 6:30 this morning and the gps had somehow picked them up again. I had to walk back in there over two miles and got to them I still don’t know how the gps picked them up by my family thanked god it did. I just hope other families decide to invest in some sort of tracking system so situations like this don’t become worse. I guess my next purchase will be a tone and shocking system so we don’t have another sleepless night. Let me know if there is anything we can do differently. Any other suggestions on what we could have done would be appreciated.

Hillbilly stalker

Until you get a Alpha or other toning system, you can use a boat whistle to recall them if you teach them. It's not hard. If you have to leave them overnight, we usually throw down an old jacket we have worn, the dogs will usually be laying on it by daylight. They will smell you on it. This time of year you might have to leave your shirt. That's all barring they didn't run something off somewhere they didn't have no business fooling with.

Blackston

Ole shirt trick usually works every time. In my younger years I’ve left em bayin a hog where they shouldn’t have been. Went and slept off whatever we we’re partaking in and when we got up about 10 am ole gyp and pup laying on the shirt !!! Cur dogs will surprise ya everytime

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Yesterday I took my older cur out with my five month old pup. Both had the garmins on so I cut them and let them run for a quick evening hunt. The younger pup was staying with her as she started to range out a little further then usual. When they hit about 500 yards I started to call them back but they had either not heard me or ignored me. The last point said 1.5 and had lost communication with dogs. We were hunting in knobs state forest so I tried to get to the highest point thinking maybe I was a lot lower then they were. I stayed in the woods until midnight with my family but decided to turn back. We went back around 6:30 this morning and the gps had somehow picked them up again. I had to walk back in there over two miles and got to them I still don’t know how the gps picked them up by my family thanked god it did. I just hope other families decide to invest in some sort of tracking system so situations like this don’t become worse. I guess my next purchase will be a tone and shocking system so we don’t have another sleepless night. Let me know if there is anything we can do differently. Any other suggestions on what we could have done would be appreciated.

I know that was a LONG night bro !!

TurkeyH90

Until you get a Alpha or other toning system, you can use a boat whistle to recall them if you teach them. It's not hard. If you have to leave them overnight, we usually throw down an old jacket we have worn, the dogs will usually be laying on it by daylight. They will smell you on it. This time of year you might have to leave your shirt. That's all barring they didn't run something off somewhere they didn't have no business fooling with.
I did just this with my beagles many a time 20 years ago. Almost always works

specialk

thanks for posting this C4, just a reminder to all us that run hounds to never turn loose without a tracker......i would definitely get the track and train units.....stop bad habits before they start....

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's all part of hunting with dogs. I can't tell you how many times I've had to leave coon dogs out overnight, or spent two days looking for a bear hound. There was no such thing as GPS in those days. As somebody else said, I'd usually leave my hunting coat where I dropped the tailgate the night before, and they would be laying on it the next morning.

Hillbilly stalker

My first dog GPS was standing on the tool box with a transmission funnel to my ear listening for them hounds. :bounce: Thems curs usually have better sense than that. Left a many of hound over nite .

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My first dog GPS was standing on the tool box with a transmission funnel to my ear listening for them hounds. :bounce: Thems curs usually have better sense than that. Left a many of hound over nite .
If a hound is any good, it's not leaving a coon or bear track for anything. If it will, you don't want it.

greg_n_clayton

It's all part of hunting with dogs. I can't tell you how many times I've had to leave coon dogs out overnight, or spent two days looking for a bear hound. There was no such thing as GPS in those days. As somebody else said, I'd usually leave my hunting coat where I dropped the tailgate the night before, and they would be laying on it the next morning.
I lost one back in the spring. Hunted him for 1 1/2 days. He showed up and was laying where I dropped the tailgate !

NCMTNHunter

Like others have said, if you hunt dogs you are going to have to leave them sometimes. It happens a lot less in the GPS era but it does happen. 9 times out of 10 if you walk to where the dogs were when they lost signal or to a place just above there you will pick them up again. If a dog is getting out of pocket because it’s after game I don’t worry too much about it. If a dog is just messing around and won’t let you catch it that is a different story. If that is case then the work needs to be done at home with a check cord. This is the first step to, and even more important than, using an e-collar.

7Mag Hunter

tone/vibrate/shock unit works well with my headstrong Lab...most times the goofball will come back at tone.....BUT, if he gets sidetracked a vibrate will get his attention
and bring him back..Only had to shock him 2-3 times at 70% for him to "learn" he
should not go past the "vibrate" stage....mine has 1/4 mile range....good investment for me..

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Picked up several beagles the next morning over the years.
They’d be laying on the jacket I left.