Hand cut granite plug on property

sinclair1

So before I bought the property along lake Sinclair, it was bordering the creek before the lake was impounded. I found this in the dirt about a foot down along where a road went through back in 1939.
I assume they drilled a few holes in a granite bolder they need out of the way and performed the wedge trick to run the road. We do have big granite pieces scattered about. It also oooks to be cut by hand tool as it wanders as it goes. What say you?IMG_1750.JPG

buckpasser

I would have guessed it’s been cut in recent times by a hole saw in someone’s counter top for the sink plumbing.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Core bit core. a drilled hole only produces dust, not a plug like that

bilgerat

Senior
if it were a hole saw core it would have a small drill bit hole in the center

sinclair1

I would have guessed it’s been cut in recent times by a hole saw in someone’s counter top for the sink plumbing.
It's rough on both sides, but I guess it's possible. I built the first house on the street back in 2008 and this was way down in the dirt. i have a feeling it's related to the post I linked where there are pieces all over the property. I have one granite bolder the size of a Volkswagen on the property which is rare to see around my location.

cohuttahunter

How did folks get these spikes in rock back in the early 20th century? You can find these and sometimes just the drilled holes in rocks around old railroad beds in the mountains that were logged back then, mostly around creek crossings where bridges would have been. I've never researched it enough to know exactly how they got it done but I'm sure it was tedious and quite a bit of toil. I'm sure there was a hand tool for it I just don't know what it is called.

Attachments

• spike.jpg
    spike.jpg
    661.7 KB · Views: 132

Artfuldodger

How did folks get these spikes in rock back in the early 20th century? You can find these and sometimes just the drilled holes in rocks around old railroad beds in the mountains that were logged back then, mostly around creek crossings where bridges would have been. I've never researched it enough to know exactly how they got it done but I'm sure it was tedious and quite a bit of toil. I'm sure there was a hand tool for it I just don't know what it is called.

Especially in granite which is quite hard. Of course the one Sinclair is talking about isn't that old but some are. What about mill stones? How were they formed?

ol bob

Best I can remember it was called a star drill one held it and one hit it with a sledge hammer ever time it was hit you had to turn it.

baddave

no- cores don't have pilot bits . that just looks like a broke piece of about a 1 1/2" core

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Those core sections of granite are on both sides of Lake Sinclair. Most were done by Ga Power contractors looking for best location to build power plant during the creation of the lake and before.

sinclair1

So I stomped around in the woods where the granite pieces are stacked up. I came across this brick in the middle of nowhere. Could it be marking something? Didn't DB Coopers family have some roots in middle ga.:clap: Also odd is the notch in the granite beside it.IMG_1777.JPG

Tom W.

It looks like a core from a gravestone where the flower container goes. How close do you live to Elberton? A lot of granite comes from there that is made into monuments.

Latest posts