Hand cut granite plug on property

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Looks like a No-core bit I used when drilling out plugs for termite bait stations.

trout maharishi

How did folks get these spikes in rock back in the early 20th century? You can find these and sometimes just the drilled holes in rocks around old railroad beds in the mountains that were logged back then, mostly around creek crossings where bridges would have been. I've never researched it enough to know exactly how they got it done but I'm sure it was tedious and quite a bit of toil. I'm sure there was a hand tool for it I just don't know what it is called.
Hammer and star drill. Rock climbers still use them to place bolts on smooth rock faces. Knock crap out of it and turn it, knock crap out of it and turn it, replete. Ooops I did it again, someone had already answered it. I'm just getting use to the format.

Last edited by a moderator:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hammer and star drill. Rock climbers still use them to place bolts on smooth rock faces. Knock **** out of it and turn it, knock **** out of it and turn it, replete. Ooops I did it again, someone had already answered it. I'm just getting use to the format.
My ex-wife's grandpa had a lot of good stories about working in the CCC camps back when he was a young man. He said the first job they put him on was holding and turning the drill for a big Italian hammer-swinging feller at a rock quarry. He said he was absolutely scared to death, because he had heard of people losing hands, fingers, and stuff when the sledge hammer man missed. He said the guy never touched him, though. But he was still mighty glad to get moved to another job. :)

Wycliff

My ex-wife's grandpa had a lot of good stories about working in the CCC camps back when he was a young man. He said the first job they put him on was holding and turning the drill for a big Italian hammer-swinging feller at a rock quarry. He said he was absolutely scared to death, because he had heard of people losing hands, fingers, and stuff when the sledge hammer man missed. He said the guy never touched him, though. But he was still mighty glad to get moved to another job. :)

My uncle use to talk about doing that to, but he was on a Georgia chain-gang doing it

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
I had an old timer tell me once about some stamped brick that was worth $. Looks like those Atlantic First bricks go for upwards of $25 a piece. Pretty cool find.