Harness School

JB in GA

Hey fellas, I need a new safety harness and wonder what you guys that have not switched to a saddle are using? I swung by Academy last night and the three they had, Muddy, HS, and Summit are all made in China, which I am not wild about. If you are using a ladder or climber let me know what works for you. Thanks, Jeff

Hillbilly stalker

I have several of the summits. They are like a bowl of spaghetti trying to unravel to put on. This year I bought a Muddy at Wally World for $48. Best money I’ve spent in awhile. The straps are more rigid and do not tangle, huge improvement.

JB in GA

Thanks guys. The one I had came with my Summit Razor and I liked it, however it either dropped off coming out of the woods, or I have misplaced it. You know how this works, I will buy a replacement and then find the old one... ?

JB in GA

Hunters safety system would get my vote, it is like a vest with pockets in the front to put things in. Real handy! Them Chinese folks did a pretty good job making them. :)
I hear you... hard to get away from import stuff these days. I was hedging my bet cause I don’t bounce so good anymore. ?

hambone76

I have a reversible HSS vest that I wear during firearms season. One side is Mossy Oak, the other is blaze orange. It keeps me from having to wear an orange and a safety harness. I like the pockets too. Keeps calls or whatever within easy reach.

Al33

I have a Muddy I only used a couple of times before trying a climbing belt. I love the climbing belt! It's light weight, easy to put on, and I like knowing that if I fall I will have the tether in front of me instead of behind me. I had the bottom of a climbing stand slip from under me while wearing a harness and the saftety strap slammed my face into the tree. I also have a Seat of the Pants harness which I like wearing for hanging lockons and treee steps because it works with a linesman belt.

rnfarley

yeah - that tether in the front is a real advantage. I've worn my saddle even in the treestand sometimes just because I like the front attachment so much better. Seen a lot of guys use those basic rock climbing harnesses instead of a treestand style harness and that seems to be a good compromise, been thinking of getting one of those for my hand-climber and ditching the rear-attachment style harness altogether.

Al33

yeah - that tether in the front is a real advantage. I've worn my saddle even in the treestand sometimes just because I like the front attachment so much better. Seen a lot of guys use those basic rock climbing harnesses instead of a treestand style harness and that seems to be a good compromise, been thinking of getting one of those for my hand-climber and ditching the rear-attachment style harness altogether.
You'll not likely regret it. I watched a firefighter demonstrate the climbing belt by stepping off a tree stand platform and was VERY impressed with his mobility and ability to get back in the stand. They use them in rescue situations which says a lot to me.

rnfarley

You'll not likely regret it. I watched a firefighter demonstrate the climbing belt by stepping off a tree stand platform and was VERY impressed with his mobility and ability to get back in the stand. They use them in rescue situations which says a lot to me.

Al, hope you've been well since Appling, we still need to get Steve together and shoot ;) Do you use a belt only or the legs-and-belt combo like a rock climbing harness?

Al33

Al, hope you've been well since Appling, we still need to get Steve together and shoot ;) Do you use a belt only or the legs-and-belt combo like a rock climbing harness?
I'm all for that, say when! :) I use the leg loops but they aren't really necessary. Mine also has the bigger loop that comes up between your legs that I can either attach to my belt with a carabiner or simply loop my tether through it and the belt. I like keeping the leg loops kind of loose so I can get into my front pants pockets easier.

marshdawg

I am thinking of going away from my Muddy Harness , which has been fine, to a BLack Diamond Climbing Harness. My question is where do you run your tree tether line ? The front loops? Do you sit with your back to the tree and have a little slack in the safety line to deal with?

Al33

I am thinking of going away from my Muddy Harness , which has been fine, to a BLack Diamond Climbing Harness. My question is where do you run your tree tether line ? The front loops? Do you sit with your back to the tree and have a little slack in the safety line to deal with?
I have the Black Diamond also. When using a climber my tether is secured to my belt and the between the legs loop with a carabiner. The other end with a pusik loop and carabiner goes around the tree. From my lock-ons I just attach to a safety line that has been previously secured above my stand and tied down near the base of the tree. I simply attach my carabiner to a prusik knot (loop) on the safety line and move it up as I climb and down when descending. I sit with my back to the tree and the belt line with prusik loop allows me to adjust the slack so it doesn't bind on me. There are hundreds of You Tube videos showing ways to use the climbing belt which will give you a better understanding of what I am trying to explain so check them out.