Has anyone ever tried one of these?

Mauser

No experience with the vanquish,but we've got two diamondbacks,3.5x10x50 on my wife's 308 and 1.75x5x32 on my 35 rem. So far I'm very pleased

Reactions: Dub

Lilly001

Anybody have experience with one of these?
Vortex Vanquish 4-12x40 Rifle Scope
SKU:2913838
Magnification : 4-12X
Objective Size (mm) : 40mm
$149.00
Found this at Bass Pro and called Vortex to get more info. Life time no questions asked warranty.

It's an economy scope.
But it is probaly better than what a good scope was 20 years ago.
It would probaly serve most people well at a decent price point.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Not with that specific scope. Got a Vortex AR scope and it’s a great scope.

DoubleRR

so... does that mean the better grade of Vortex scopes are not made in China? made in the USA ?

Ray357

AWOL
so... does that mean the better grade of Vortex scopes are not made in China? made in the USA ?
Phillipones or Japan is what I have been told on the higher end stuff. Don't know for sure.
I like Vortex durability and customer service, but I am thoroughly UNimpressed with their glass.

DoubleRR

I wasn't trying to be a Mr.Smarty pants... but I have been a bow hunter for 51 years and my 70 year old shoulders are telling me I need to start deer hunting with a rifle.. tried a crossbow and I hated it... so I am starting to learn a new game ... deer hunting with a gun...

Last edited by a moderator:

rosewood

Vortex

Cheap is made in China
Mid is made in Phillipines
Top tier is made in US
My observations exactly. This applies across several brands of scopes.

Rosewood

rosewood

I was told all have a no questions asked warranty? So was thinking for $149.00 how could it be wrong?
Warranty doesn't guarantee bright/clear glass. Just that it works.

Simmons has a lifetime warranty. I have had a couple replaced and a couple repaired. The glass is still bad.

Rosewood

Robert28

Is this replacing the crossfire? Those were good scopes for the money honestly, so if this is anything like those then you will be more than happy.

zedex

Gator Bait
Higher end scopes have a more polished glass and better coating to allow more light in for s clearer picture. When considering a scope, always sample multiple brands.

I've sold a boatload of Vortex scopes...... probably 10 times more than any other brand. But I, personally, prefer the higher end of the line. Much better coatings, more inlet of light with less reflection from the objective end. Most have a nice 3 1/2 to 4in eye relief and excellent parallax control.

If I could afford it, I'd mount Nightforce scopes on everything I own, except the 45-70. ( lever guns never look right with a scope). I love the bright, clear picture they provide.

Between a Simmons, bushnell or Leupold, I'd take, in order, the bushnell, Simmons and then, reluctantly, leupold. The leupold glass always seemed hazy and unclear to me.

Vortex does have the unconditional lifetime warranty and they do provide nice quality products. But certainly test each model for clarity before making the buy

Darkhorse

It's an economy scope.
But it is probaly better than what a good scope was 20 years ago.
It would probaly serve most people well at a decent price point.

I'm not so sure about that. In 1982 I bought 2 3X9 Leupold scopes. One for my wife's 7X57 Ruger, and one for my 7mm Magnum. A few years ago I traded one for a boat. The other one I still have and use when needed. As far as I can tell it's just as bright and adjusts just as well as it did the day I got it.
I also have a Leupold 3.5 X 10 I bought for an Elk hunt in New Mexico in 1996. I will use it on my .300 Win. Mag or my 7mm Magnum as needed. The last few years it has graced my 7 mag. I have compared this scope to my Zeiss and they are so close I can't really pin down any differences. Except I think the Zeiss gives me a few more minutes of shooting time. Even with all the shooting I do, and with me being a equipment nut I remain perfectly satisfied with these older scopes.

Lukikus2

Higher end scopes have a more polished glass and better coating to allow more light in for s clearer picture. When considering a scope, always sample multiple brands.

I've sold a boatload of Vortex scopes...... probably 10 times more than any other brand. But I, personally, prefer the higher end of the line. Much better coatings, more inlet of light with less reflection from the objective end. Most have a nice 3 1/2 to 4in eye relief and excellent parallax control.

If I could afford it, I'd mount Nightforce scopes on everything I own, except the 45-70. ( lever guns never look right with a scope). I love the bright, clear picture they provide.

Between a Simmons, bushnell or Leupold, I'd take, in order, the bushnell, Simmons and then, reluctantly, leupold. The leupold glass always seemed hazy and unclear to me.

Vortex does have the unconditional lifetime warranty and they do provide nice quality products. But certainly test each model for clarity before making the buy

I got flamed on here years ago about Tasco. Japanese glass. In the 80's and still going strong. A 40mm objective is part of the key.

And you have finally made up my mind about taking the scope off the.35 my Dad put on.

zedex

Gator Bait
I got flamed on here years ago about Tasco. Japanese glass. In the 80's and still going strong. A 40mm objective is part of the key.

And you have finally made up my mind about taking the scope off the.35 my Dad put on.

Tasco has some good scopes. Most folks associate them with pellet guns and not worthy of any other gun. I have a 270 that came with a tasco when I bought new in northern Alberta. That was in the winter of 2014. Still bright, still clear. Because it came with the rifle, I just left it in place. Probably ran a thousand rounds through the gun and it's still holding zero perfectly. No need to replace it as yet.

I didn't mean to undo your dad's doings.... lol.. for my eyes, a scope on a lever gun just doesn't look right. Admittedly, my eyesight ain't as sharp as it once was, so finding the forward sight is a bit tough. My shooting isnt as sharp as it should be with my 45-70. But I ain't gonna scope it. I'll give it to my daughter when she's big enough for it to not hurt her, if she wants it.
All my other rifles are scoped

280 Man

Banned

Tasco made a really good scope in the Titan several years ago. It was 30mm and had really good glass. Japanese glass.