Has this been knapped ?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
It has sharp edges much of the way around. Is this the way it broke off or has it been worked on?

A3993D8D-2F26-4CDC-B90E-605B317F952B.jpeg7FAE0529-C9D7-4057-A82F-A565201B0FA7.jpegC794EBC3-08CB-488E-BFDB-66AFEF973E0B.jpegBD02820D-21A7-470C-9EAD-F858D93A1AA7.jpeg65859028-DFFC-4EE5-B474-0327B0E2C6A5.jpeg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking no, but I could possibly be wrong. If I had tried to knap that nasty chunk of rock, I would have thrown it as far as I could through the woods. :)

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I'm thinking no, but I could possibly be wrong. If I had tried to knap that nasty chunk of rock, I would have thrown it as far as I could through the woods. :)
Sometimes desperate times calls for desperate measures. My first point/knife I found was just a crude white quartz. 1/2 inch thick, 1 inch long and about 2 and 1/2 from base to tip. It was like they left the ugly just to keep it together. And it worked.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes desperate times calls for desperate measures. My first point/knife I found was just a crude white quartz. 1/2 inch thick, 1 inch long and about 2 and 1/2 from base to tip. It was like they left the ugly just to keep it together. And it worked.
Yeah, I've found some crude ones. But not that look like a square, unknapped chunk of rock.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Not sure the pottery is Indian. I don’t see the black in the middle on the edge and no pattern on the sides. I would have to see in person. Just saying.

Pig Predator

I would personally continue looking around that area for artifacts. I think yall found a good spot. I like to think about how things may have been back then. Like, what if a knapping mentor gave this ridiculous chunk of rock to his student to see what they could come up with, knowing that would be what it turned out like as a joke/prank? Just spit balling....Kinda like how our uncles teased us all back in the day?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I agree. And if they have several hundred acres. There is a camp or 2 on it.

Pig Predator

Not sure the pottery is Indian. I don’t see the black in the middle on the edge and no pattern on the sides. I would have to see in person. Just saying.
I think the black has been washed away by the river and sand. I think that piece was at least twice as thick originally. my thinks...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member