Hatch Chili Season

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I am hoping that Publix will start carrying them down here. I`ve been meaning to try Hatch peppers, just haven`t gotten around to ordering some. You`re making those things look good.

If all else fails Park Seed company. Get 'em started indoors in early March. I know you got a green thumb so you'll know what to do from there. :wink:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Eat your hearts out. I got more coming. They growin' faster than I can eat 'em. :bounce:

View attachment 1246589
Those are poblanos, not Hatch. Which is not a problem, because they are one of my favorite all-around peppers. If you let them get red-ripe and dry them, you have anchos, which make the best chile powder on the planet.

georgia_home

Hoping the local kRoger has them this week. Seeing all the promo recipes around and no peppers is no bueno

hawkeye123

Kroger has em now..got a bunch of em..roasted on Blackstone peeled & removed seeds..pulverized in Ninja..froze some..great in salsa..pulled pork..put in bbq sauce..burgers

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I got mine at Ingles. Went back this afternoon and bought 4 more bags. Tomorrow is roasting day. I think I will bag up like @mark7-mag. Looking forward to putting some on burgers, some in chili. Rest going to freeze for later. Somebody mentioned putting it on pull pork sandwiches.
if you freeze some of them whole, you can freeze them with the skin on and just peel them when you thaw them out. They’re a lot easier to peel then. The ones you chop to freeze you’ll want to go ahead and peel and seed once they cool off.

pjciii

if you freeze some of them whole, you can freeze them with the skin on and just peel them when you thaw them out. They’re a lot easier to peel then. The ones you chop to freeze you’ll want to go ahead and peel and seed once they cool off.
Thank you. I have been all over the internet trying the best way to prepare them for storage

DannyW

I still have a couple pounds left over from last year. I roast them on my grill like Mark-7mag, and then freeze them. I agree that peeling them is much easier when frozen but it's still not fun sometimes.

No secret recipes here, I just substitute them in anything that needs a pepper...burritos, chili, dishes of that nature. I de-seed them because the wife is not tolerant of hot dishes. Not that they are that hot to begin with...a mild to medium pepper (the red ones seem to be hotter than the green ones.)

Right now our Kroger has them in stock.

pjciii

I still have a couple pounds left over from last year. I roast them on my grill like Mark-7mag, and then freeze them. I agree that peeling them is much easier when frozen but it's still not fun sometimes.

No secret recipes here, I just substitute them in anything that needs a pepper...burritos, chili, dishes of that nature. I de-seed them because the wife is not tolerant of hot dishes. Not that they are that hot to begin with...a mild to medium pepper (the red ones seem to be hotter than the green ones.)

Right now our Kroger has them in stock.
First batch steaming and 2nd on grill. They put off a great smell

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Those are poblanos, not Hatch. Which is not a problem, because they are one of my favorite all-around peppers. If you let them get red-ripe and dry them, you have anchos, which make the best chile powder on the planet.
That's what we do sometimes. Really good in a pot of chili.