Hatteras Blues

kevbo3333

I fished with longer days last year out of hattaras, while pricing charters I thought all charter prices were very reasonable for sportfishing. $1500 average for a full day charter, that is way cheaper than a boat in the gulf to bottom fish.

The Blues start showing up in Mid May, this boat caught a 576lb Blue May 14th & won big Fish for Hatteras Village tournament, the Biggest Blues are caught in August though, and the White marlin get thick in Oregon Inlet and North around August too.

The boats are not cheap, but the Release is $ 1800 a day for 11 hr day, the boats in Destin are $ 2200 + for same length trip.

Last edited:

dank1296

Caught my one and only sailfish out of Hatteras Harbor Marina 40 years ago. Go there 2-3 times a year Headed to Avon for two weeks tomorrow. Mostly Surf fish.

Attachments

• IMG_7943.JPG
    IMG_7943.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 9

plumber_1969

Those marlin are some of the most majestic fish in the sea IMHO. I hate to see them killed but I understand they do a lot of research on them. Not sure how they would taste. Anyone ever eaten them before? I would think it would be similar to a giant kingfish.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Those marlin are some of the most majestic fish in the sea IMHO. I hate to see them killed but I understand they do a lot of research on them. Not sure how they would taste. Anyone ever eaten them before? I would think it would be similar to a giant kingfish.

They are pretty common table fare in parts of the med and in most of their range other than North America and Australia. They are similar to swordfish in my experience. In general better than kingfish, in my opinion, but not by a lot. I think most of the ones found in fish markets in europe are by catches from swordfishing but I don't know that for a fact....most caught recreationally in Europe are released. They may also be caught in Africa and sold in Europe, I don't know....but they are not uncommon in fish markets and restaurants.