Have the white bass started their run yet?

I am taking off work Friday 03/12 and Friday 03/19 to go chase after them white bass in the Coosa River around Rome. The kids are all grown up now and they all want to join in on the action. That'll be a full house compared to previous years. I plan to launch out of Brushy Branch and motor all the way up to the Lock and Dam then work my way back down.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
A little early yet.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
By the dates you are off they should be well on their way. I am already catching them on the Hooch above West Point in some pre-spawn areas of the river. The warm days next week and the full moon on the 27th are going to send them quickly on their journey.

Wire Nut

Haven’t seen any up the Oconee above Dyar’s Pasture yet

Thank you all for the reply and for sharing updates on the rivers you are fishing. I just realized the dogwoods have not bloomed yet. I think we are right around the corner. For the past 10 years, the second and third week of March has been great for us unless the river is blown out with heavy rain earlier. I will keep an eye on the gauges and report back after the trips.

little rascal

If I was down there I could show ya'll some, gotta place where they stack up in Jan-Feb before they start running up the creek. Somebody PM Batjack and take him fishing he ought to be able to put you on'em! I'm up here in Snowville waiting til' I can go try some Walleye. Have caught a couple Trout, they been stocking since January and we've had lots of snow and some ice.

campboy

I've been catching small ones close to the boat ramp at brushy. I think you will be able to find plenty of them when and where you plan to go

Kdog

I caught several up the south river today just below the shoals.

Geffellz18

How do these do on Lanier?
Any specific areas to target.
I’d like to get into a few purely for sport as they are doing their thing.
A few years ago, it seems there were a lot of folks frequenting the east fork of the little river where it dumps into the lake right at 129, but haven’t noticed the traffic in the past couple of years. Of course, this could be due to the road expansion project and sell off of some of the property.
I’m not far from this spot in particular and could get there fairly easily.

How do these do on Lanier?
Any specific areas to target.
I’d like to get into a few purely for sport as they are doing their thing.
A few years ago, it seems there were a lot of folks frequenting the east fork of the little river where it dumps into the lake right at 129, but haven’t noticed the traffic in the past couple of years. Of course, this could be due to the road expansion project and sell off of some of the property.
I’m not far from this spot in particular and could get there fairly easily.
If I recall Lake Lanier does not have as good of a white bass run as it did many years ago. There have been many theories but I have not tried myself personally. I have gone to the Coosa River that flows into Weiss Lake, Little or Etowah River that flows into Allatoona Lake, and Oconee River that flows into Oconee Lake. Worth giving it a shot and report back. I live in Buford, GA, and would like to find some closer areas to chase these white bass.

whitebass

What a big difference from last year's condition. The river is shaping out to be great. At this rate, by the 2nd or 3rd week of March, the best bite may be over :eek::ROFLMAO:

2020 River conditions for the Lock and Dam on Coosa River
https://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/ga/...od=&begin_date=2020-02-23&end_date=2020-02-29

2021 River conditions for the Lock and Dam on Coosa River
https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ga/nwis/...od=&begin_date=2021-02-21&end_date=2021-02-28
Agreed. when do you think the best time to get out there is?

Wire Nut

Just got home from Oconee. Water temp is 48. Still a little early. One guy said he caught a white but no proof. A few crappie were caught but there are more boats than fish at the moment

Agreed. when do you think the best time to get out there is?
Starting this week will be great on the Coosa River looking at the water temps. With the last few days of rain, the discharge is up higher but still should be able to catch them. I will report back next week when I make my first trip.

whitebass

Starting this week will be great on the Coosa River looking at the water temps. With the last few days of rain, the discharge is up higher but still should be able to catch them. I will report back next week when I make my first trip.
I was planning on going next Friday. The weather seems okay for the next week.
Just curious, where will you be fishing?

I was planning on going next Friday. The weather seems okay for the next week.
Just curious, where will you be fishing?
That is great, I will be out Friday 03/12 also. I will launch out of Brushy Branch and make that chilly run-up to the Lock & Dam. Then work my way back down fishing any open creek mouths. My #1 goto bait for the past 10+ years has been casting a Rapala SR7 in firetiger or helsinki shad color depending on water clarity. Good luck on Friday.