Have the white bass started their run yet?

Richf7

According to the COE Allatoona is 47f...do they start moving upriver only when the temp hits 50f?

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
According to the COE Allatoona is 47f...do they start moving upriver only when the temp hits 50f?

Water temperature is just a very small piece of the puzzle and in my opinion has more to do with the timing of when they actually release their eggs. Length of day and moon phase has more to do with the actual movement of the fish up the river/creeks.

Rhodes

Water temperature is just a very small piece of the puzzle and in my opinion has more to do with the timing of when they actually release their eggs. Length of day and moon phase has more to do with the actual movement of the fish up the river/creeks.

Exactly.....that's been my experience as well.

Richf7

Exactly.....that's been my experience as well.

Time to test the waters

Great point.

Richf7

Anyone ever had luck at Etowah River Park in Canton?

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Itchin to get out there. Just been busy with work and life the last week or so.. I’d bet it’s getting real good here the next week or so

whitebass

Do you guys have any tips on targeting crappie? I'm a bank fisherman trying to get some white bass, but a few crappie would be nice.

jeardley

WB,

Check out Rope Mill Park up 575 for White bass. I'm generally a bank fisher also and there are trails up and down Little river. I went this past Saturday and put 9 on a stringer. They were down river right before it opens up into the lake (prob just less than 1 mile walk). With the weather this week they should be moving up the river pretty good. I've had the best luck on an 1/8oz white Rooster tail with silver spinner. If you can I'd get there early (opens at 7AM) as the parking lot fills up quickly.

On the Crappie you could try Kellog creek (Payne campground - Allatoona). This is where I usually sit on the bank and drown some minnows. They may be there by this weekend, and I'll probably be there checking. Tanyard Creek is another spot you might try, I've only fished it a couple times but have a buddy that usually wears them out over there.

whitebass

WB,

Check out Rope Mill Park up 575 for White bass. I'm generally a bank fisher also and there are trails up and down Little river. I went this past Saturday and put 9 on a stringer. They were down river right before it opens up into the lake (prob just less than 1 mile walk). With the weather this week they should be moving up the river pretty good. I've had the best luck on an 1/8oz white Rooster tail with silver spinner. If you can I'd get there early (opens at 7AM) as the parking lot fills up quickly.

On the Crappie you could try Kellog creek (Payne campground - Allatoona). This is where I usually sit on the bank and drown some minnows. They may be there by this weekend, and I'll probably be there checking. Tanyard Creek is another spot you might try, I've only fished it a couple times but have a buddy that usually wears them out over there.
Thank you! I'll be sure to try these spots out.

Richf7

WB,

I was at Rope Mill at 7 AM Sunday for two hours and got skunked. Fished below I-575 and where the ramp once was. The shoreline wasn’t exactly pristine and I was wondering if the never ending dredging keeps fish from swimming upriver.

whitebass

I was at Rope Mill at 7 AM Sunday for two hours and got skunked. Fished below I-575 and where the ramp once was. The shoreline wasn’t exactly pristine and I was wondering if the never ending dredging keeps fish from swimming upriver.
i see. I was planning to hit lock and dam this weekend, hopefully I get some luck!

Getting close to Friday, the temps are good, water levels are good, discharge is good, and the dogwoods have bloomed. We should see a strong white bass run this weekend on the Coosa. Good luck everyone.

jeardley

I saw the dredge and wondered the same. I got there at 7am on Saturday and the water was fairly clear (they weren't dredging). Around 9:30 down where I was at it started turning pretty cloudy from the dredging. I think it won't keep the fish from coming up though. It gets worse than that with every good rainfall and it didn't seem to slow them down when they were working on the bridge a couple years ago.