Have to make a change

adebord30183

Unfortunately I was involved in an accident last weekend that is going to prohibit me from using a bow this year. My right hand was damaged in a firework accident. Although doctors are optimistic I’ll be making a full recovery well into next year, it appears my 2020 bow season is already over. I’m looking into getting a crossbow, However I’ve never had any experience with one. This may not be the correct forum for this question, But would love some advice on what everyone would suggest as it pertains to model or brand. I will need one with an assisted caulking device. All help is appreciated

BDD

There's lots of old threads in the bow hunting section, from xbows, bolts, scopes...
Price range from a few hundred to a few thousand. You can add a cocking device to most. I switched to an xbow because my hunting land went bow only. I love them, bought 3 in the last 2 years. You can find great deals on The Outdoor Trader, good luck.

Jim Boyd

Not sure about your budget but Ten Point / Wicked Ridge makes a great middle of the road selection of bows.

They have been around a long time.

Good luck with the hand, sir.

adebord30183

Not sure about your budget but Ten Point / Wicked Ridge makes a great middle of the road selection of bows.

They have been around a long time.

Good luck with the hand, sir.
Thanks Jim. I’m looking at the M370. I like it and it’s middle of the road price wise.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Hate to hear about the hand. No experience with xbows, but if in your boat I would surely become an expert quick and have a blast (no pun intended :bounce:) hunting with one this season. New equipment can make things interesting too

Good luck man

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Sorry about the injury.
I have an old Horton crossbow I have used for maybe 20 years. Shoulder issues Caused me to switch to it from a compound.
Continued shoulder problems and getting older have me wanting to upgrade to a crossbow with a built in cocking device.

Buckstop

Not that big of a curve. Switched from vertical to xbow a couple years back myself. I have a Horton RDX built by Ten Point. Reasonably short axle to axle, quiet and plenty fast. Probably a middle of road rig. It came with a winch type cocking device thats mounted on the stock. I scoped it with a zeiss xb3 scope. Once you figure out the arrow speed, the reticle marks were dead on out to 70 yrds. Although I’d never attempt a shot on a deer at that distance. Just way too much flight time. Carry shooting sticks and a range finder and it will pretty much hunt like a rifle within bow ranges.

adebord30183

Hate to hear about the hand. No experience with xbows, but if in your boat I would surely become an expert quick and have a blast (no pun intended :bounce:) hunting with one this season. New equipment can make things interesting too

Good luck man

Thanks brother Jim ? I like the pun lol. I’m going to do just that

adebord30183

Ravin is a great choice depending on your budget. It is lightweight and wicked accurate. Shoots 4" groups at 100 yds.
I can’t pay that. I am trying to stay sub 1k, and I am thinking the M370 with all the features I can get will be perfect.

cowhornedspike

Look these up! Saw them last year at the outdoor blast. Said if I ever had to quit the bow this is what I would go to. My buddy bought his son one last year and he loves it.View attachment 1030732

This. Sooo much easier to use than a "traditional" crossbow. At least give it a look before getting one of the others.

Handgunner 45-70

If you want to make the drive to Warner Robins I will loan you my Excalibur crossbow. I don't use it much. Its all set up for hunting as I took a 5 pt with it last year. That way you can make sure it what you want. It is one of the older ExoMags. First one that Excalibur made. Supper fast and has red dot sighted in at 25 yds and good to dead on at 40.

LTFDretired

I have the Parker Buckbuster cross bow. I also have the Parker Concorde Co2 Cross bow. Heavier but easier to load and unload without the need to discharge. Unfortunately Parker went out of business. If you find the Concorde on eBay or similar that may be an option. it uses paint ball Co2 bottles.There are other crossbows with cranking devices. I don't have experience with them but others may offer opinions.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
If you want to make the drive to Warner Robins I will loan you my Excalibur crossbow. I don't use it much. Its all set up for hunting as I took a 5 pt with it last year. That way you can make sure it what you want. It is one of the older ExoMags. First one that Excalibur made. Supper fast and has red dot sighted in at 25 yds and good to dead on at 40.

More of GONs finest !!!

adebord30183

Many thanks for that offer Handgunner. I have had the offer extended to me by a couple others and you offering is very kind and appreciated my friend.
I’m going to go ahead and purchase one as I want to be able to have one for the future as my children want to hunt and I can let them use it as well. I sincerely appreciate your offer again!