Hazmat fees?

Dub

Just got notice from Buds that order for Accurate No 5 was cancelled because it's out of stock just like happened to Dub in reply #5. Buds also told me shipping is now taking up to 15 days to ship instead of their 3-5 days normal shipping time. I think that's pretty crappy to show the powder in stock when I ordered and then cancel informing me it's out of stock. I doubt I'll be ordering from \buds again.

Powder Valley is getting orders filled nicely. They tell you right up front of what is in stock and what is not. They also tell you right away that they are working off a shipping backlog, but they do show frequent updates of which days ordered are currently shipping.

As far as I can tell their prices haven't jacked up....but then again I don't order powder all that often.

If Buds does exceptionally well on guns....especially if you'll use their "price drop" feature and keep an eye on it. I've never had a problem with them that didn't get resolved swiftly and to my satisfaction......with gun orders.

Can't say the same about some of the ancillary items like components, magazines and such. I think @leoparddog nailed it above. They simply are simply routing the powder to you from other sources....nothing in their own warehouse. Guns.....different story (most of the time).

bevills1

I placed my order mainly for the Accurate No 5 and added a copule of other items to lower the total cost per item, and I wouldn't have ordered anything from them if their site hadn't shown Accurate No 5 in sock, and they told me the order couldn't be cancelled when I asked about doing that. I've learned my lesson and will never order anything from them again.I think there are much better places to buy guns such as KentuckyGunCo, SportsmansWarehouse, et al. I bought 2 TC rifles from KentuckyGunCo and a Ruger pistol from Sportsmans warehouse, and I was pleased with service and prompt delivery for both of them.

Does an body know why Midsouth would charge $12 hazmat as posted in reply #15 but charge $16 to me? Also is there anybody in or near the south metro
Atlanta area that would be interested in submitting a combined order for powder and divide the hazmat and shipping costs? If 3 or 4 guys ordered a pound or 2 each, it would make the total cost per pound much more reasonable.

Jester896

Senior Clown
and I wouldn't have ordered anything from them if their site hadn't shown Accurate No 5 in sock, and they told me the order couldn't be cancelled when I asked about doing that. .

pffft...refuse the UPS shipment and take it up with your card company.

bevills1

Actually they told me I could do that while I was on live chat with them. However, under Accessories Returns in their Shipping&Returns policy it states there's a 10% restocking fee for accessories returns that aren't defective. I don't know if refusing delivery would be handled like a return and incur that 10% restocking fee if it is handled like a return. That'd be a gamble I'd risk by refusing delivery, and it might be better to just accept the order when it comes.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I think your card company offers you better protection than that.

it's your decision...if they baited and switched me I'd let um hold it. If they charged 10% I would protest the charges with my card company.

frankwright

If I only need a pound or two I can almost always find it at Moss Pawn on Old Dixie Hwy!
I do order in bulk for primers and powder when I am low and someone is offering a deal on hazmat or shipping!

JeffinPTC

I bought a keg of AR Comp from Sandy Smallwood today. He had 1# and at least one 8# of AA5.

72 Appaloosa Way
Sharpsburg

Reactions: Dub

bevills1

I usually wait until one of the many reloading companies I buy from run a no hazmat special and buy a bunch at once. I also have a friend that has a dealer account with Chattanooga and 2x a year we place a big order for Primers and Powder.
That's a great idea if one needs a bunch of powder, but it doesn't help someone who needs just a pound or two since all those deals I've seen require order to be a minimum number of pounds of powder or at least a required minimum dollar amount for the order.

bevills1

Around 50 years ago when I began reloading there were no hazmat fees, just shipping fees like on any other item, and I never heard of any incidents that resulted in property damage or injury from shipping smokeless powder and primers. This begs the question. Are hazmat fees a gimmick to increase profit for shipping companies or a government regulation to infringe on the rights of gun owners and the second amendment? Personally I believe it is the latter which would make it in effect a tax and an infringement on the second ammendment. Why are there no hazmat fees on shipping of batteries, matches, starter fluid. alcohol or other items shipped that are probably as hazardous or more hazardous than smokeless powder and primers? Also ammo which contains smokeless powder and primers is shipped with no hazmat fee. It's just another liberal infringement on the second amendment imo.

Ajohnson0587

That's a great idea if one needs a bunch of powder, but it doesn't help someone who needs just a pound or two since all those deals I've seen require order to be a minimum number of pounds of powder or at least a required minimum dollar amount for the order.

So buy more to meet the minimum, or don't… It doesn't matter to me, I just put it out there for those that would want to avoid the Hazmat fee and not have to worried about not having reloading supplies. Most of the people who are needing powder or primes wouldn't be in here singing the blues had they bought more. Just saying...

Reactions: Dub

bevills1

After researching online for free hazmat orders, I found 1 in January 2018 at Midway on select powders for orders over $150 and 1 in June 2017 at Midsouth that required purchase of at least 4 pounds Shooters World powder and any other powders you want up to 50 pounds. The problem with the Midway deal is the select powders may not include ones you want. I know nothing about Shooters World powders and don't think I'd be interested in that deal. My point is waiting for those deal may not be worth it if what you want isn't included in the deal.

However, I did learn I can use more powder than I thought while I was searching for the Accurate powder for the 38 Special load I want. Aliant Power Pro 2000-MR and Power Pro Varmint can produce top velocities in 308 Win and 35 Whelen. These powders weren't on the market the last time I was choosing powders to use in the 308 and 35 loads. I'm compiling an order to submit soon.