Healthy black bear came by this morning

Fork Horn

I decided to sit out for bit this morning hoping to see a coyote come along but I had no luck. However, this bear did come by a little before seven. It's a healthy looking one.

Incidentally, if you look closely at the beginning of the video, you can see a few corn cobs tied up in the pine tree above the bear. That's the location where I got the videos last year of the bear reaching up for the corn (they were posted in the trail camera section last year). Guess I had those a little high and the squirrels got all of the corn and left the cobs. I need to hang a little more up for this bear to get a video of him standing up for it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bany

Nice! Good size indeed.
i was watching and thinking how many people would be scared to death thinking ” it’s coming straight here to eat me” . Thanks for posting

Fork Horn

Nice! Good size indeed.
i was watching and thinking how many people would be scared to death thinking ” it’s coming straight here to eat me” . Thanks for posting

The bear actually got much closer to me this morning than I thought he would. He stopped a time or two and was looking, and I thought he was seeing me, but I was up in my ladder stand and I guess I had enough limbs and leaves around me that he never spotted me or at least he didn’t see anything to be afraid of.

georgia_home

very nice! Atsa biggun

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Great video of a beautiful bear ! Glad to see you are after that coyote , good luck with them ! You ever tried trapping ? Curious how that works in bear country

Fork Horn

Great video of a beautiful bear ! Glad to see you are after that coyote , good luck with them ! You ever tried trapping ? Curious how that works in bear country
My son and I tried trapping a few years ago, and although we didn’t catch any coyotes we enjoyed trying. Of course we were trying during the summertime and from what I’ve read and have been told, that’s really the wrong time to be trying to learn. We ended up catching a non-target animal and it kind of left a bad feeling for both my son and me and we’ve not set any traps since. I keep thinking that I’ll try again with the trapping, but I haven’t done so yet.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
My son and I tried trapping a few years ago, and although we didn’t catch any coyotes we enjoyed trying. Of course we were trying during the summertime and from what I’ve read and have been told, that’s really the wrong time to be trying to learn. We ended up catching a non-target animal and it kind of left a bad feeling for both my son and me and we’ve not set any traps since. I keep thinking that I’ll try again with the trapping, but I haven’t done so yet.
Yes it is tough this time of year , for me anyway . And I completely understand on the non target animals . Some of the traps now days are real easy on the feet of non targets . I’ve been trapping for 4 years , just family property and my hunting lease and really believe it has helped . I can’t think of but 2 animals that I would have released that even had the skin broken . I’ve removed over 30 coyotes on one property ,400 ac in that time.
Can’t wait for your next video

Doug B.

Don't let that stop you! It does occasionally happen but like antharper said "the traps nowadays are real easy on the feet of non targets". And actually summertime is not the wrong time to learn how to trap, but it is probably the hardest time to learn how to trap. Trapping though is the most effective way to get rid of coyotes. If you do decide to try it again there is tons of information right here on this forum. You can look back at older threads to find answers to any questions you might have, or just ask anything that is on your mind. There are a lot of great trappers on here that will be glad to answer any questions, plus, it will give all of us some topics for discussion!!!
Yes it is tough this time of year , for me anyway .

Says the expert at catching them this time of year!::ke::cheers:

Fork Horn

Don't let that stop you! It does occasionally happen but like antharper said "the traps nowadays are real easy on the feet of non targets". And actually summertime is not the wrong time to learn how to trap, but it is probably the hardest time to learn how to trap. Trapping though is the most effective way to get rid of coyotes. If you do decide to try it again there is tons of information right here on this forum. You can look back at older threads to find answers to any questions you might have, or just ask anything that is on your mind. There are a lot of great trappers on here that will be glad to answer any questions, plus, it will give all of us some topics for discussion!!!

Thanks Doug B. I will likely give it another try this fall. I’ll say that I do admire the folks on here that are making regular catches; seeing those posts always encourages me to try again.

Latest posts