Heard County

Mac

Congrats Dustin, that is a hoss!!

What part of the county do you hunt?

I am where Hwy 100 headed to Hogansville meets Hwy 27

toolmkr20

Awesome buck Dustin, congrats. Paymaster and I are gonna give it a shot Saturday morning. Hoping this cold front coming through will have them up on their feet.

toolmkr20

Had a great hunt this morning even though we didn’t pull a trigger. Paymaster saw a little spike around 10:30 that walked within 15yds of him. I saw a little young buck around 6:45 probably a 4-6 point it was still too dark to count points even through my scope. He came cruising through and made a little scrape about 75yds from my tree. Then on the way driving out we saw two doe standing in the logging road. God sure blessed us this morning. 855B41D6-7136-4F6B-828B-28E303C3053C.jpegCBB1D33C-7204-4AF8-B25F-BD557F2FA19E.jpeg

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I tagged out last night (9th). Hunted a spot that I’d been wanting to sit for 5 years. Just kept putting it off due to weird location. The sign finally made up my mind. This guy was walking the edge of a cutover at 5:20. Heard him thrashing a tree before I saw him. I believe he had a doe with him. His hocks were wet and stinking. He is a main frame 8 with a kicker off the base.

Attachments

• 37DB15C7-1B4B-4806-A12D-AF40CC4211D3.jpeg
    37DB15C7-1B4B-4806-A12D-AF40CC4211D3.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 58

toolmkr20

Another great buck, congrats Dustin. Next week I’m off for 5 straight days. Hopefully I can get it done. Sure would like a shot at that 7pt I had on camera earlier.

toolmkr20

Anyone know how to post videos from your iPhone? I’ve got a video of a button head from this morning that I’d like to post.

ehunt

Hunted 11/24-12/1. 7 straight days. Shot a doe on the 24th. Seen a total of 12 deer. 2 horned bucks, spike and 4 pt. Not showing any sign of chasing, rut, seeking, Nothing. Fresh scrapes were showing early in week. Warm weather hit and locked em down on our place. Did manage to take out 2 coyotes though.

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
Hunted 11/24-12/1. 7 straight days. Shot a doe on the 24th. Seen a total of 12 deer. 2 horned bucks, spike and 4 pt. Not showing any sign of chasing, rut, seeking, Nothing. Fresh scrapes were showing early in week. Warm weather hit and locked em down on our place. Did manage to take out 2 coyotes though.
We have got sign on our lease in Heard close to Snake Creek but have not seen any sign of chasing no where on our lease!

More sign than I have seen but I haven't seen a deer in 3 weeks!
1 deer was killed on our lease this weekend and it was a doe!
I let a 6pt walk on Nov 9 and seen 1 doe the next day after that O!

toolmkr20

No sign other than a few scrapes. No chasing being seen in person or on camera. Our club president has shot two 8pts in the last two weeks and neither had sign of being in rut. I watched two doe yesterday for over 30 minutes mill around in a food plot with no bucks to be seen. So far I would say it’s about normal for our lease. Usually the closer we get to Christmas the better the rut activity is. We’re right on the Alabama line so I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

Buckhead

Hunted Saturday morning on our lease near Corinth. Saw 2 bucks (6pt & 4pt) and 2 does. I watched the 6 follow one of the does for 10 minutes or so. Good to see. Based on my 35 yrs of hunting this property, the rut is usually winding down about now. Probably another week of chasing, then time to change tactics and start hunting food sources.

Professor

Hunted Saturday morning on our lease near Corinth. Saw 2 bucks (6pt & 4pt) and 2 does. I watched the 6 follow one of the does for 10 minutes or so. Good to see. Based on my 35 yrs of hunting this property, the rut is usually winding down about now. Probably another week of chasing, then time to change tactics and start hunting food sources.
I need to get back out. I had decided that there was not a rut this year or that I just was in the wrong place.

Last edited:

Professor

I can confirm the rut is on in Heard County. I had a 6 pointer just gallop right through an open field heading for a scrape