Heard my first rain crow

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Seems about a month and a half early for middle Georgia. Any one else hearing them or whip-o-wills?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It'll be awhile here. Our whippoorwills are pretty much gone around here now. Don't know what happened to them. Usually about mid-summer before you start hearing rain crows. The whippoorwills (actually mostly chuck-will's widows) usually start singing on my place on the SC/GA line about mid-April.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I heard a whippoorwill the first of last week. Mighty early for them around here. I usually don't hear them until late April. I have a split rail fence that runs from my side porch down to the basement drive. They normally sit on that fence and wake me up at night.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Oddly, even though I haven't heard a whippoorwill around my place here in years, there has been a mockingbird in my yard making whippoorwill calls the last couple days?

Red dirt clod

They show up around here north Hall about the 20th of April. Just saw my 1st hummingbird a few minutes ago, strangely he was chasing a cardinal.

trad bow

Usually the rain crows (southern cuckoo) don’t normally show up till after the catalpa trees leaf out. Mine are just budding out.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I should be hearing chuckwill`s here anytime now. It`ll be a little bit longer before the rain crows are here. Once they are though, I`ll see and hear them every day. Hear em a lot more than I see em. My Uncle used to give me a nickel apiece for every rain crow I shot out of his catawber tree.

trad bow

Oddly, even though I haven't heard a whippoorwill around my place here in years, there has been a mockingbird in my yard making whippoorwill calls the last couple days?
I had quail in a pen last summer for training my bird dog puppy. I had a mockingbird just today making the bobwhite whistle. It was sitting in a cedar right beside me letting it ring.

oldguy

No rain crows here yet, and still no hummingbirds, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was another couple weeks before they show up. No great crested fly catchers (REEP! REEP!) here yet either. Couple dozen head of chipping sparrows still enjoying the vittles I put out.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Usually the rain crows (southern cuckoo) don’t normally show up till after the catalpa trees leaf out. Mine are just budding out.
the leaves on mine are about the size of a half dollar

Big7

The Oracle
Seems about a month and a half early for middle Georgia. Any one else hearing them or whip-o-wills?
I know what a whip-o-will is. Have no idea what a rain crow is. Could that be regional or a bird by another name??

Big7

The Oracle
Nevermind..? NE GA Pappy answered. I need to look into that..?

trad bow

I’ve had hummingbirds about a week now. Being seeing lighting bugs for about three weeks steadily.

trad bow

Rain crows are a migratory bird that follows the caterpillar hatches north on its migration. Never seen them eat tent worms though.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Got a mockingbird around the house now, as I do every year. She chirps and carries on all day and night. I don't think she ever sleeps. She's always carrying on.

How would y'all like to have a lyrebird around your house? One of the coolest birds of all!

These birds crack me up. :rofl:Listen for a camera going off, a car alarm, a laser gun, some hammering, and all kinds of different sounds.

oldguy

Whip-poor-Will, Whip-poor-will, Whip-poor-will, Whip-poor-will... for hours on end!

Chuck-will's- widow, Chuck-will's-widow, Chuck-will's-widow... over and over!

trad bow

How many of ya`ll can tell the difference between a whippoorwill and a chuckwill`s widow? :)

I’m not sure I can visually as very seldom do I see one in the daytime. Their calls are very similar but the first note quickly lets you know which one is about.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I know what a whip-o-will is. Have no idea what a rain crow is. Could that be regional or a bird by another name??
Yellow-billed cuckoo.