Heard my first rain crow

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I hear people gripe about whippoorwills all the time. I love to hear them, one of my favorite sounds on earth.

Big7

The Oracle
Yellow-billed cuckoo.
Did an image search.

We have those around our bird feeders.
I just didn't know what they were called
Never heard rain crow or yellow billed cuckoo.

That's one thing I learned for today.
THANKS !!!?

Hillbilly stalker

I been seeing lighting bugs and hearing whip-a-wills for about 2 weeks now in Sc. But I hang out half the night coon hunting. I used to have a whip-a-will set on the corner fence post in the pasture, he'd sing me to sleep a lot of nights.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
The whippoorwills were talking in the mountains this morning. Sounded beautiful to me! Haven't heard the first one down here in Paulding.

27metalman

Heard my first whip o will this morning. It's official... spring is here and no more frost.

bany

Haven’t hardly seen any in Forsyth co. for some reason. Whippoorwills here the past few days. I’m on the lookout for my catbirds! Haven’t seen many mockingbirds about the new house so I hope that doesn’t mean the catbirds won’t show.

oldguy

THANKS!
I'm always telling my Granddaughter & Grandson "There's a song for that" for just about any topic that comes up. This proves it! Both of 'em are into some sorta' hip hop stuff. But one day riding down I-75 we listened to Johnny Cash singing the Cadillac song and they loved it. Grandma made a chocolate pie so I exposed her to "Swangin'". We musta' sung that a thousand times! Never know what's gonna' appeal to 'em.

oldguy

Haven’t hardly seen any in Forsyth co. for some reason. Whippoorwills here the past few days. I’m on the lookout for my catbirds! Haven’t seen many mockingbirds about the new house so I hope that doesn’t mean the catbirds won’t show.
You got bushes you'll probably have a cat bird. And a brown thrasher too. And maybe a tohee.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've always really liked this one:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You got bushes you'll probably have a cat bird. And a brown thrasher too. And maybe a tohee.
My catbirds haven't come back yet. They'll be here in a couple weeks. I've got plenty of towhees and a resident pair of thrashers, though.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
The whippoorwills were going off in Upson this weekend. Drove a couple city boys down visiting nuts. I love them.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Catbirds are another secretive bird. They nest in the wax myrtles around our dock at Seminole every year, so I do get to see them if I`m quiet.

seminole catbird.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

saltysenior

It'll be awhile here. Our whippoorwills are pretty much gone around here now. Don't know what happened to them. Usually about mid-summer before you start hearing rain crows. The whippoorwills (actually mostly chuck-will's widows) usually start singing on my place on the SC/GA line about mid-April.
Going out in the AM from camp to hunt turkeys you would always see ground doves and rabbits in the road.. get out the truck and hear the Wippoor-Wills....none of this lately...??? All ground nesting birds are in decline..

bany

I had the catbirds in the leyland cypress by my deck. They would land on a branch tip and sneak in and around the branches to their nest. Great singers and cat mockers! Have several thrashers around now. Usually the cats will show by later April. Love the towhee, they were here so I expect them back.