Hearing protection/amplification

TurkeyDreamer

Long overdue update:

I really like these hearing protectors! The case in itself is awesome...very sturdy and it holds a charge for a very long time. Even after sitting sometimes for months without a charge, I haven’t seen it drop below 70% capacity.

The ease of use is incredible. You can truly insert the ear plugs and forget about them. I do wish there was a medium setting for ambient sound: the two settings are more like “a little below normal” and “a lot more amplification than normal”.

Regardless, this product is well worth its cost this duck season. Shotgun blasts from my own shells and those from nearby shooters are not even the slightest bit loud. I can still hear the whistling of the woodies and even the wing beats of the ones approaching silently.

I highly recommend this product for anyone wanting this type of hearing protection. If you only need hearing protection once or twice a year to zero in your rifle, just use something simple. But, if you spend time shotgunning or want to have something that you can position and forget about it, this may be exactly what you're looking for.

Maysport

Thanks for the feedback on these! I haven't heard of Otto but like their design of the Noizebarrier Micro.

I have had the Soundgear Instantfit in-ear electronic plugs. They were about $100-$150 less than the Otto's with a Pheasant Forever discount code, if you are a member. However, I had one mess up and had to go through an involved return procedure to get it replaced - required an audiologist to send it in, etc. I then lost one and they wouldn't sell a single one with a discount. I bought another and now it is messing up, cycling on and off, and they won't replace it under warranty as it is just over a year old. They work well at dampening shotgun blasts and amplifying sound when they work, but are just like an expensive foam ear plug when they don't! The have a 2-note tone after insertion to let you know they are turning on. Listening to the tone turn on and off for hours is very annoying! I only wear them a few times a year hunting, and don't abuse them. But, they are small and use #10 hearing aid batteries. These are a pain to change out in the dark of a duck blind. I think because the Soundgear are the shape and size of pencil eraser that inserting and removing the batteries can cause them to flex and not hold up compared to the rechargeable feature of the Otto's. Soundgear is advertising a 'Phantom' model that is larger and sits outside of the ear canal, but it won't even be available until summer and will be $1000+.

I like that the Otto Micro's are rechargeable and don't have quite the small size of the Soundgear Instafits. This should allow them to hold up longer. Based on your review of the Otto Micro's, I'm going to have to try them.

TurkeyDreamer

Thanks for the feedback on these! I haven't heard of Otto but like their design of the Noizebarrier Micro. I like that the Otto Micro's are rechargeable and don't have quite the small size of the Soundgear Instafits. This should allow them to hold up longer. Based on your review of the Otto Micro's, I'm going to have to try them.

I’m confident you will be pleased. I used mine again this weekend to fire multiple rounds from my AR 15 and they continue to impress. I’m also glad to know that my review has helped someone else. Best wishes!! Report back and give me your own feedback.

LTFDretired

Check out Costco for real hearing aids a lot cheaper than many places. Too many years of FD and gun hunting took its toll on me, for those more fortunate the Howard Leight Electronic Muffs was helpful.

Maysport

I’m confident you will be pleased. I used mine again this weekend to fire multiple rounds from my AR 15 and they continue to impress. I’m also glad to know that my review has helped someone else. Best wishes!! Report back and give me your own feedback.

The Otto NoizeBarrier Micro's have a small piece that sits outside the ear. Although small, do you find it interferes with gun fit - your stock touches it when mounting, etc.? I'm wondering about these vs. Axil GS Extreme:
blank_1x1.gif
Axil GS Extreme They use USB for charging, which isn't as convenient, but fit is more important.

I'm also wondering if anyone has used the new Tetra hearing protection: Tetra. They are pricey.

Thanks for any feedback on this!