Heartgard and stomach upset in dogs

HughW2

My lab consistently has stomach upset (vomiting and panting) about 6-12 hours after monthly treatment with Heartgard.
Does anyone have advice about treatment tips for how to minimize the issue? I want to protect my dog from heart worms and give the recommended dose. To my knowledge Heartgard and Heartgard Plus are the best treatment. Are there other medications I should consider? Will be discussing with Vet, but just wanted feedback from the forum first.

pjciii

Give mine heartgard also. She does that every now and then. If she throws up i usually redose unless it is the next day.

HughW2

Thanks. We gave her the Heartgard for her monthly dose yesterday at about 9-10 am and had it in her system till 9 pm so I am pretty sure it was absorbed / metabolized. I guess I just need to be prepared and put outside for the day once she starts getting sick.
We spent the night dealing with her vomiting all over the house. Not fun. Lots of carpet to clean today!

pjciii

You just feel so bad for them when that happens. My vet says if she throws up within a couple of hours of dosing then redose longer than that it is absorbed into system.

You might cut it into smaller pieces and give over an hour or so.?

hdgapeach

We took our Golden Retriever and Bassett Hound off of Heartgard and changed them to Interceptor Plus. It's a once a month chewable that they love like a treat. They've not had any negative symptoms with the new wormer. The Interceptor Plus covers prevention of heartworms as well as these intestinal parasites; roundworms, hookworms, whipworms and tapeworms. We haven't had any problems with any parasites since the change.

ucfireman

You can try Ivermectin for horses. The dose I believe is 1mg per 10 lb.
If you can find a big animal vet you can ask them.
The heartguard I believe is a mix of meds and an cause vomiting and If I remember right sometimes seizures.
Most of the feed through tick and flea killers can cause seizures too.
Be careful.
Dont use permethrin on cats, can kill them.

Dbender

1/10 of a cc per 10 lbs. Not 1mg per 10 lbs. I'd recommend the injectable vs the horse paste, hard to accurately measure paste. Off label parasite control but it's been used successfully for a long long time.

Last edited: