Heavy FOC / Single Bevel Broadhead

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I guess I'm in the minority when it comes to super heavy arrow philosophy and high FOC. I don't think deer are really all that hard to shoot through, and they don't require something like an elk or moose would require. That said, not going to hurt a thing going super heavy, except trajectory of course. I also have not found a great benefit to super high FOC. I normally keep my whitetail stuff in the 13-15% range.

I'm sure some folks will say you can shoot through shoulders, and that is true of the actual shoulder muscle. I still to this day have not seen an arrow bust through the actual scapula on a deer. That thing is like Fort Knox.
You lost me at scapula

Im in the ballpark of your arrow probably. I shoot a 28 1/2 inch 55/70 goldtip and a muzzy 85 at 74 peak Always have.
This arrow flys flat. I can use one pin to fourty with a hair of mental adjustment. Target to 60. Deer move too much to be shooting rainbows.
Really I agree with all you said but the scapula.
I bust that plate regular not both.

Eroc33

I have always wanted a flat shooting setup also that's why I stuck with 100gr, but this video makes me think point weight doesn't matter near as much as we think it does.

If the whole arrow is a lot heavier it will obviously make more difference, but I'm going to do my own testing to see.

wks41

I switched from 350 to 300 spine arrows with 50 grain half outs and 100 grain expandable. Shot 4 with my bow this year. 3 pass throughs and one hit the opposite side shoulder. The heavier arrow and 50 grains more up front make a big change for me this year. Didn’t have a pass through last year. The black eagle rampage arrows come with 50 grain half outs. Very solid arrow IMO

Eroc33

That sounds like a good setup without going crazy. I wish i could pull the inserts out of the arrows i have to try some heavier ones.

ddd-shooter

I Love heavy arrows, although I enjoy mechanicals for white tails and bears around here. Actually, I’m not sure I wouldn’t shoot anything in the lower 48 with my setup, although it might be a little light for some, which I would remedy with a 50 grain outsert that would make my point weight 175.
currently I’m at 510 grains, flying about 280 fps. Thats about 64 slugs of momentum, 89 ft lbs of k.e., and only about 10% f.o.c. But it hits like a ton of bricks, flies through shoulder blades and ribs no problem, and I always get two holes. Plus being around 280, my pins are manageable out to 80.

splatek

UAEC
That sounds like a good setup without going crazy. I wish i could pull the inserts out of the arrows i have to try some heavier ones.

Best way to get the inserts out, that I have found: Take a lighter and heat up a field point for about a minute or so, then pull on the field point. The heat should loosen up the glue that is used to attached the insert. You might want to get get yourself some of that glue for yourself so that you can glue in the insert/outsert or else it'll pull out in your target on every shot.

Kris87

No one here is going to convince me they're shooting through a deer scapula consistently. I've seen too many arrows hit one and bounce backwards out of a deer.

Shoulder muscles, leg bones, ribs....Sure...the actual scapula, no.

Hillbilly stalker

Consistently? No....done it ? Yes . 70ld bow, 31 inch draw, 2315 xx75’s . 100 grain muzzy 2 cam bow at less than 20 yards. Wasn’t intentional, but it happened and my gear performed.

Kris87

Consistently? No....done it ? Yes . 70ld bow, 31 inch draw, 2315 xx75’s . 100 grain muzzy 2 cam bow at less than 20 yards. Wasn’t intentional, but it happened and my gear performed.

Did the deer die? What organ did you hit after you busted through the scapula?

Hillbilly stalker

Did the deer die? What organ did you hit after you busted through the scapula?
Yes he died, within 50-60 yards if I remember correctly. He was the second one of 2 I shot off that feed tree that evening. I had a lot of work dragging both out by myself so there wasn’t any autopsy. Sept heat makes a fellow move fast to save the meat.

Hillbilly stalker

I believe the muzzy trocar tips have a lot to do with muzzy penetrating. As much as I love thunder heads, they have a point and don’t split bone as well as a muzzy. Any decent 2 blade will out preform them on penetration tho.

strothershwacker

The
Yes he died, within 50-60 yards if I remember correctly. He was the second one of 2 I shot off that feed tree that evening. I had a lot of work dragging both out by myself so there wasn’t any autopsy. Sept heat makes a fellow move fast to save the meat.
There must be an artery or something up there because I've hit some way forward tween the brisket and shoulder that bled out fast.

Kris87

I believe the muzzy trocar tips have a lot to do with muzzy penetrating. As much as I love thunder heads, they have a point and don’t split bone as well as a muzzy. Any decent 2 blade will out preform them on penetration tho.

Ten four. I'm going to save the scapula from the first deer I kill this year and I'm going to shoot it with a Muzzy at 10 yds. My bow produces roughly 85ft-lbs of KE. I have both 100gr and 125gr Muzzys. I'll shoot one at each since I'll have two of them.

I'll post the videos here.

splatek

UAEC
Ten four. I'm going to save the scapula from the first deer I kill this year and I'm going to shoot it with a Muzzy at 10 yds. My bow produces roughly 85ft-lbs of KE. I have both 100gr and 125gr Muzzys. I'll shoot one at each since I'll have two of them.

I'll post the videos here.

Being a scientist, I love this idea and I might do the same. I shot through both scaps on a doe this year - heavy fixed blade broadhead. Went though both and into the ground. I was pretty close, ~20 yards, but only pulling 56 pounds. When I did shoot an expandable, one time, I found one side only opened half way, the other was closed, and it deflected almost into the guts, off ribs. One of my fixed blade shots went from brisket to butt, no problem. The fixed blade went clear through everything. . I wish I had known what I was doing when I was doing it.

And if you are going to do it, don't mess with comparing 100 to 125, step it up, compare 100 to 200 or 250.

I think I might test single versus double bevel. This could be fun, assuming I kill anything. HAHA

Kris87

Being a scientist, I love this idea and I might do the same. I shot through both scaps on a doe this year - heavy fixed blade broadhead. Went though both and into the ground. I was pretty close, ~20 yards, but only pulling 56 pounds. When I did shoot an expandable, one time, I found one side only opened half way, the other was closed, and it deflected almost into the guts, off ribs. One of my fixed blade shots went from brisket to butt, no problem. The fixed blade went clear through everything. . I wish I had known what I was doing when I was doing it.

And if you are going to do it, don't mess with comparing 100 to 125, step it up, compare 100 to 200 or 250.

I think I might test single versus double bevel. This could be fun, assuming I kill anything. HAHA

You have a picture of the entry hole? I'd like to see it. The scapula is very high on the deer, and unless you were shooting from the ground, it's impossible to shoot through two of them. I think people confuse the actual shoulder muscle with the bone I'm referring to.

Hillbilly stalker

I shot mine from a low stand (8-10 ft.) and the deer was on the side of a hill , that's how I managed to bust both. It's pretty easy to tell the difference between bone and muscle.