Help !! I've lost my Zero and can't get up !!

MCBUCK

Ok...You are on your way to the stand, let's say it is November 14th, when you tak e little spill into a gulley. You're o.k. except for your pride, and you notice that you relly banged the scope on "ol' meat". OH NO ! you cry on the inside, or may be you say"oH Elmo" any way........what next? Do you prop on a stump and take a shot at a tree knot just to make sure, or do you track back to the truck (1/2 mi) and check it there ? Do you check it at 25yds and pray that it is still good at 125 ? These questions can befuddle me late at night.....I have been there and done that before....what would you do?

Trizey

I'd have to take my chances and hope that I've got a quality scope that will hold up to my fumbles.

I wouldn't take a shot nor return to the truck, I'd just hunt out the day.

MCBUCK

I've done both....all three.......the most memorable one was one time when my rifle fell off the tailgate ( unloaded ) and bounced on the gravel...I set up a DR Pepper can about 25 yds out, just to check it...I took a bead right at the "P" and milked one off.........."BANG" my scope popped me right on the eye-brow....I just rolled over and said "oh man....that hurt" , in a very hushed tone, and then I felt blood...I still have that neat little half moon scar........and I am glad no one was there to witness my..ahem....marksmanship. :bounce:

The gun was still on. :D

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Id trust my mounts and optics and go after em. Ive done that on more than one occasion and my scope has always been fine.

BassWorm

I've done that before and I put my rifle in a solid spot. If the scope and iron sights match up I'm good to go. I still shoot it later just to ease my mind.

GeauxLSU

Do a bore site at first light. I've got a LOT of confidence in my mounts.

Harvester

Got see-thru mounts. dont know about 100 yard iron sights but the first shot would be w/ scope, than if i missed,follow up would be the IRON

MCBUCK

ok....NO SEE THRUS....now what do ya do?

MCBUCK

GeauxLSU said:
Do a bore site at first light. I've got a LOT of confidence in my mounts.
I've got Millett bases and rings, and they have held up through some abuse, but do you really think a bore sight would be sufficent? I don't trust that. ( and for arguments sake, let's say that it is light ) Make tha sssumption that all have good equipment...I still say say shoot.

Randy

I'd first have to evaluate how hard I "think" I might have hit it. If I have any dought it is off it is back to the range to confirm before I attempt to hunt. This is the reason every club should have at least a 50 yard range set up. We have a 300 yard range.

MCBUCK

Oh you banged it pretty good. :D

groundhawg

None of my guns with scopes have iron sights on them so that is out. Never carry my bore sight to the wood and sure do not have it in my fanny pack. I have to KNOW where my gun is hitting so as soon as it was light enough to see I would pick a target at 25 yards and check that then if I had time and a place I would check it at 100 yards.

We have made a 125 range at our hunting camp so I could go there later in the day but first I would crank one off if I had any doubt the scope was not dead on. Shooting is sure not going to bother a deer 1/4 mile away and not likly to bother one a lot closer.

How many time have folks here killed two or more deer from the same stand with in minutes or even seconds of shooting the first - several I am sure. The noise of shooting a couple of rounds and knowing the scope was right or if not on then fixing it would be better than leaving it to chance.

GeauxLSU

MCBUCK said:
I've got Millett bases and rings, and they have held up through some abuse, but do you really think a bore sight would be sufficent? I don't trust that. ( and for arguments sake, let's say that it is light ) Make tha sssumption that all have good equipment...I still say say shoot.
We have a range at camp.
I've NEVER had a scope get bumped out of alignment but I always check my mounts for tightness etc...
Hard to say, just depends how I felt. No a bore sighting is not good enough but it's better than nothing and if it appeared to be on, it would help alleviate my concerns.
I'm a pretty conservative shooter so I'm not trying to take 500 yard shots. If it's off enough to miss the kill zone under 100 yards (the VAST majority of shots taken in Georgia), you should be able to tell doing a simple bore check.

MCBUCK

groundhawg said:
None of my guns with scopes have iron sights on them so that is out. Never carry my bore sight to the wood and sure do not have it in my fanny pack. I have to KNOW where my gun is hitting so as soon as it was light enough to see I would pick a target at 25 yards and check that then if I had time and a place I would check it at 100 yards.

We have made a 125 range at our hunting camp so I could go there later in the day but first I would crank one off if I had any doubt the scope was not dead on. Shooting is sure not going to bother a deer 1/4 mile away and not likly to bother one a lot closer.

How many time have folks here killed two or more deer from the same stand with in minutes or even seconds of shooting the first - several I am sure. The noise of shooting a couple of rounds and knowing the scope was right or if not on then fixing it would be better than leaving it to chance.
There IS wisdom in the seas of desperation !!

GeauxLSU

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about a commercial bore sight. I'm talking about pulling your bolt and looking down your barrel and checking it against your scope. If it's way off, it'll be obvious. I always do that when putting on a new scope and you'd be amazed how close you can get without firing a shot. Also to be clear, I'd NEVER hunt with a bore sighted only weapon. I'm only suggesting this as a check to see if the scope is OBVIOUSLY knocked out of alignment.

Ta-ton-ka chips

GONetwork Member
MCBUCK said:
I've done both....all three.......the most memorable one was one time when my rifle fell off the tailgate ( unloaded ) and bounced on the gravel...I set up a DR Pepper can about 25 yds out, just to check it...I took a bead right at the "P" and milked one off.........."BANG" my scope popped me right on the eye-brow....I just rolled over and said "oh man....that hurt" , in a very hushed tone, and then I felt blood...I still have that neat little half moon scar........and I am glad no one was there to witness my..ahem....marksmanship. :bounce:

The gun was still on. :D

I don't believe you said "oh man that hurt"

but is that why you wear those glasses... to cover up the "half moon scar" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :cheers:

short stop

I hunt a piece of land w/a buddy along with his family , anyway this guys uncle drops his gun while climbing 20 ft up tree ,gun stock breaks in half!!!! . The fellas goes back to truck duct tapes gun toghter :eek: goes back to treestand. ROCKET SCIENTIST ! sits 30 min or so along comes mr big , He said it was a 13 pointer ! Fella shoots :shoot: 8 times at the buck under his stand never scratchin him . Deer walked off , Musta been deaf too. , Last shot the gun comes apart ''Blackeye syndrome '' :bounce: --- Have not laid eyes on this guy in 3 yrs , His brother killed the deer the next day , a nice little ''13 PT 144 3/8 . :whip: :bounce: SS

MCBUCK

Ta-ton-ka chips said:
I don't believe you said "oh man that hurt"

but is that why you wear those glasses... to cover up the "half moon scar" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :cheers:
I swear.....that is what I said!!
It's really a cute little scar.