Help picking a kayak

Randy

You can stand in a Pro Angler easier than any other kayak that is made, in my humble opinion.

You are correct about the Pro Angler. I just do not really consider it a kayak nor does Hobie.

Jcd465,
I imagine that T-13 is a little of a wet ride at your weight. That is my favorite yak at the present time. It is a good all around ride pretty easy to stand in and very fast. I outran a Hobie with the new turbo fins just this past weekend. lol.
In general you should look for a kayak with near twice your weight capacity. Sure the Big Game will float with 600lbs but performance really starts to fall off when the yak starts riding lower in the water.

limbhanger

Test some before picking. I went with the Native Manta Ray 12 Angler. Now all I need is some invites to fish!:D

jcd465

Randy,

You are correct. The first time on the water my seat was very wet. Since I am only using the boat on Reservoirs I bought scupper plugs and have a completely dry ride now(other than paddle drips). I really enjoy the boat. If my wife didn't have to have a boat as well. I would have went the the big game. Money always seems to have a way of limiting what I would like to have.

Pavy

I'm 6'2", 320lbs and I just love my OK Trident 15...I can still carry 200lbs+ of gear if I need to including a full size Igloo IceCube cooler...though I do not try to stand in it. It has a 550lb capacity which is less than the Big Game's 600lb limit, but it is only 29" wide compared to the Big Game's 34" which makes it paddle much faster.

Randy

The Trident 15 is a fast ride. Many just find it too long in many cases. I use it pretty much exclusively in the salt especially when I am going more in the flats or offshore. Standing is pretty easy as well.

Lawnmowerman

Wasting money by going cheap first is not a good idea. As you see you now want a better yak.

Let me assure you, I didn't "waste" very much money at all,,,:p
Plus, it came with a LOT of accessories, actually worth as much as the yak itself.
I went with what my peers suggested I do. (and I really did get a great deal)
I ALWAYS want "better" everything, but I'm with jcd465, and money does play a role in my hobbies.
This little 10'er is gonna do me just fine untill I can muster up enough $$ for what I now know I want, and this sweet little ride will go to my Wife. She already wants it,,,:love:

ted_BSR

Let me assure you, I didn't "waste" very much money at all,,,:p
Plus, it came with a LOT of accessories, actually worth as much as the yak itself.
I went with what my peers suggested I do. (and I really did get a great deal)
I ALWAYS want "better" everything, but I'm with jcd465, and money does play a role in my hobbies.
This little 10'er is gonna do me just fine untill I can muster up enough $$ for what I now know I want, and this sweet little ride will go to my Wife. She already wants it,,,:love:

Yeah, I agree, your first may last a season or two, but then it will become a "buddy" boat. That is a great thing to have!

7 point

Im 6,2 about 220 lbs and I have A heritage redfish 14ft and its A good stable yak

ZachYak

If standing is a definite must for you and you want to take it in the salt. I would suggest the OK Big Game or Ride 135. Malibu makes solid kayaks for big guys too but good luck finding one in GA.

IMO Standing isn't crucial, I can stand in both of my kayaks but rarely do. If you're really into flipping then it may suit your needs, but basically everything else (including pitching and fly fishing) can be done very well from the sitting position.

ejs1980

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I don't plan to spend most of my time standing. Most of the yaks I've tried before were rentals and sit in types. After a couple hours I start having muscle spasms in my lower back and have to stand. It doesn't work to good in sit in types. I live near Valdosta about 15 miles from the Florida line. If there's any tournaments down my way I don't know where or when. I also rarely see any here unless there on a cartop heading to Florida. I looked at the trident 13 and liked it but decided the weight limit was a little on the low end for me. I.m sure I'll be tempted to fish near the channel markers at a few of the places I fish and don't so much mind getting wet as thats part of the sport but I want to get wet when I choose too or because a big fish came off the hook right next to the boat and causes me to roll the other way. I don't want to get wet every time a boat goes by. How easy is the trident 15 to turn around? The reason I asked about the x-factor is because it's only an inch narrower and a foot and a half longer and I thought it may paddle easier. I may be wrong. There's also a close to new one a couple hours away with a nice paddle,seat,scott rod holder, and pickup hitch adapter for 800. I don't know if thats a good deal or not but people seem to be proud of used fishing kayaks compared to normal kayaks. Thanks to everyone for the input. Randy I live about three hours from you but may have to take you up on that one day soon.
Thanks

ZachYak

As far as the 15 foot kayak goes, it's going to be tough to turn without a rudder. I have a 14' Tarpon that I love, but I wouldn't love it as much without the rudder. Also any of those kayaks are not the best option for standing, though it can be done.

I strongly strongly recommend you go test out a Ride 135 AND Big Game. Go talk to the guys on the Forgotten Coast -- http://www.fcka.net/phpbb3/ they may know of some spots closer to you that you can test some yaks out.

ejs1980

Thanks I'll definetly register at the Forgotten Coast website. I've looked at it several times there doesn't seem to be much traffic on that sight but alot of good info. I'm not sure how the weight limit works as size increases. I've heard several people say twice your weight is what the yak shoud weigh. That pretty much limits me to about four popular models. At 270 the weight limit on my kayak should be at least 540. So if I add my gear say 60lbs worth I would still be 210 lbs below max capacity. A 150lb angler with a kayak with a 300lb limit and the same 60 lbs of gear would only be 90 lbs from the max capacity. Now I just need to find somewhere I can paddle around and try some out.

ejs1980

Well. I've finally got it figured out. I'm going to try a big game, ride 135, and trident 15. Maybe a few more. I had crossed the ride off of my list because of weight capacity but after many reccomendations to try it and also a kayak shop owner who has a OK trident 15 on clearance reccomended the 135 as well. I may just spend the summer renting and trying out all the ones on my list, carry a little gear and have fun doing it. I haven't found anywhere with a trident 15 to spend the day in yet but I'm sure I will.

Randy

Well. I've finally got it figured out. I'm going to try a big game, ride 135, and trident 15. Maybe a few more. I had crossed the ride off of my list because of weight capacity but after many reccomendations to try it and also a kayak shop owner who has a OK trident 15 on clearance reccomended the 135 as well. I may just spend the summer renting and trying out all the ones on my list, carry a little gear and have fun doing it. I haven't found anywhere with a trident 15 to spend the day in yet but I'm sure I will.

Let's plan a trip down there. My mother-in-law lives in Thomasville so I will come down and bring my Trident 15 for you to try out. I'll bring a Big Game also.

Latest posts