Help planning a FL keys trip UPDATE POST 38

bluemarlin

Bud n marys is a tourist trap, you better come with a wad of cash or those stanciak clowns wont even look at you. I wouldnt pay them a single dollar of my hard earned money, take your business somewhere else

Meh... but I do find humor in your opinion.

Show me on this doll where BnM hurt you?

doomtrpr_z71

Ok update, we are going 3rd week in aug. Staying at the gulf view water front resort.
Buddy is bringing a 16 ft skiff. Would that be safe to take to any reefs or wrecks to get on some big fish?
Planning on going to theJesus statue
Lobster diving
Snorkeling, best reefs?
Fishing?
Bahia honda
Key west, day trip
I pulled my 17ft skiff down when we sent to islamorada, we went out to alligator light, going in August it should have some calm days when y'all can venture out to the patch reefs. I look and see if I have anything marked around marathon. I've been to pennecamp and never went snorkeling because the weather was so bad, eventually I'll make it to see the statute.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I pulled my 17ft skiff down when we sent to islamorada, we went out to alligator light, going in August it should have some calm days when y'all can venture out to the patch reefs. I look and see if I have anything marked around marathon. I've been to pennecamp and never went snorkeling because the weather was so bad, eventually I'll make it to see the statute.
Thanks

bluemarlin

The internet is a funny place...Full of jealousy and opinions from people who have no idea based on hear say... But, lets have a discussion about BnM.

TerrellBuckman, who have you fished with out of that marina and when were you there?
Same question to Dennis.

The internet is a funny place...Full of jealousy and opinions from people who have no idea based on hear say... But, lets have a discussion about BnM.

TerrellBuckman, who have you fished with out of that marina and when were you there?
Same question to Dennis.
I’ve been going down there for years I have no idea why jealousy would have anything to do with an opinion ? I’ve fished with them and have seen first hand how they treat customers , have you?? And before we start would you mind answering my question as to what is a doll?

bluemarlin

Google doll test.

I'm asking you to tell me who you have fished with?

Keep in mind you're talking to someone who lived and fished down there for well over 20 years. I worked out of Holiday Isle, Post Card Inn, Whale Harbor, the Strike Fighter when it was docked behind Lorelei when it went over to Harbor Island in the Bahamas and won a BBC tournament w a 653 pound blue marlin, Bud n Mary's, and private boats out of Ocean Reef... add in Key Largo and Key West a few times if you want but give me examples of who you fished w and what happened... Show me on the doll where BnM hurt you?

Google doll test.

I'm asking you to tell me who you have fished with?

Keep in mind you're talking to someone who lived and fished down there for well over 20 years. I worked out of Holiday Isle, Post Card Inn, Whale Harbor, the Strike Fighter when it was docked behind Lorelei when it went over to Harbor Island in the Bahamas and won a BBC tournament w a 653 pound blue marlin, Bud n Mary's, and private boats out of Ocean Reef... add in Key Largo and Key West a few times if you want but give me examples of who you fished w and what happened... Show me on the doll where BnM hurt you?
I could really care less about where you’ve lived and fished out of, or what fish you’ve caught , we’ve all caught them, keep in mind this is an opinion about bud n Mary’s not you or your fishing trophies. As I said earlier bnmarys in my opinion is all about the money and they could care less about the average Joe . Sounds like somebody needs a hug ?

bluemarlin

Not about me brother. I have no dog in the fight.
It appears to me that you're the difficult one to get along with. That's what I'm dealing with here... There are personalities that don't click in this world. You seem to have a bad opinion of Bud N Mary's. I was simply asking who you fished with.

But I will tell you that if you were to grab a Islamorada phone book and randomly call a local out of the book and ask the question of what is the best marina in Islamorada, their response would be Bud n Mary's.

Sorry you feel that way but I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.
My only reason to post is to try and help people not go for a boat ride. It is expensive to charter a sportfish boat and there are a lot of all talk no catch (compared to other boats) charters available down there.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I love fishing out of Islamorada, normally stay at La Jolla and fish the Bay and Everglades from there. I would point out, if you cross the ICW, you will want an Everglades boater sticker, it is an online test, but you have to have it to operate a boat in the Everglades, I believe you can still take the test for free. Summer time you can find "baby" tarpon pretty much anywhere, you just have to look for them rolling, I have found the most in the nastiest water I can find.....I guess they go there to get away from the sharks, there is little oxygen in the water. Snook are against the mangrove islands, in the early morning redfish can be seen working the flats, and once you can see good keep your eyes open, I have found huge schools of small bonefish in the Park...by accident the first time, never looked for them, so never really saw them. If you see any number of bonnet head sharks, bonefish will often be close by. Get out at first light, beat the heat, so to speak, and you should have no problem. As for the canals, yeah, with a fly rod, you are hard pressed to keep the Mayan Cichlids and Oscars off the flies, you want a 100% chance of catching those fish, just cast to a laid up snook and they will beat the snook to your fly, I promise. Oh yeah, some of the deeper flats as you are leaving the park back towards Islamorada will have some large permit on them, you just have to pay attention and look, I have never seen them tailing there though and have never been able to get one to take a fly....

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I see there is a debate with regards to Bud & Mary's or Whale Harbor....being a fly fisherman, I am prejudiced towards Lorelei which is where all the best inshore guides work out of.....you have to hire them from their site though, not through a marina. Some great guides operate out of Founder's Park too, my personal favorite one does. Pete Rowney....but then again, like I pointed out, I only take fly rods with me to the Keys unless we are going off shore. I love fishing August down there, not much wind but it will be Africa hot and humid, just be prepared for that, dress accordingly, and wear appropriate flats clothing, long sleeve shirts and pants on the water or else you will be hurting regardless of how much sun screen you use, and of course if fly fishing you can not let any get on your line or its ruined hence the fly fishermen down there have the neatest clothes. As for Marathon, can not help you much there, I have fished there years ago (about 30 or so years ago), and learned that I have better luck and less crowds, especially during any of the lobster seasons, up in Islamorada. Islamorada gets the higher rate of fishermen to tourist over pretty much everywhere down there, for a reason.

Last edited:
I'll be headed back first week in April then again in june. We caught 1 bonita. My buddy know a bunch of charter guys and it was slow for them. We swordfish one day and kite fished the next.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I've been doing my research. Plans have changed since op. Lobster, mangrove snapper, yellowtails, tarpon, plus whatever we can catch on the reefs. Since my buddy bringing his skiff we gonna save the blue water stuff for next time. Also debating on buying a speargun

Latest posts