Help planning a FL keys trip UPDATE POST 38

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
Looking to go next year.
Want to explore all the keys at least a little. I would like to do some swordfish and mahi mahi fishing. Some free diving for lobster. And maybe some kayak fishing and snorkeling. Plus all the sights too see as I've never been.

No boat? Never been? Be prepared to shell out some cash is all I can tell you. I have a buddy who guides down there for dolphin and swordfish. I'm sure he would put you on a lobster or two, but it would cost you.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
About 10 years back, some friends and I spent nine days in the keys kayak fishing.

We spent a few days in Bahia Honda state park, a couple nights in the dock house of some rich guy we met and drank brews with and talked fishing, a couple nights in the back of my old Land Cruiser, and one night in the back room of a bar and grill..

Caught about 30 species of fish, and had one of the best trips ever with no plan, living like nomads..

Take a kayak and a couple buddies, and go...It don't have to cost much to have a blast, and see all there is to see.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
Swordfish is to much $2400.
Found a guy that will do 1/2 fish/ lobster for 1400. Last I looked the prices were down on lodging. Mainly looking for tips and ideas on what to skip and what to not pass up on. Taking the wife.

doomtrpr_z71

You driving? If so I would take the scenic route down tanami trail and fish the canals as well, it's not like it'll cost you anything. I've never done any guided trips, so I'm no help there. Since your wife is going I would check the pricing on bakers cay, it's a hilton resort and I stayed there last year and we got a smoking deal. I've stayed in key largo, key west and islamorada, I prefer islamorada if you aren't staying at a chain. Rainbow bend resort includes a skiff if you stay there. I highly recommend taking the yankee freedom to the dry Tortuga's while you're down.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
You driving? If so I would take the scenic route down tanami trail and fish the canals as well, it's not like it'll cost you anything. I've never done any guided trips, so I'm no help there. Since your wife is going I would check the pricing on bakers cay, it's a hilton resort and I stayed there last year and we got a smoking deal. I've stayed in key largo, key west and islamorada, I prefer islamorada if you aren't staying at a chain. Rainbow bend resort includes a skiff if you stay there. I highly recommend taking the yankee freedom to the dry Tortuga's while you're down.
Yes, we are driving. I was also thinking of dry Tortuga's as well. I will look into the other stuff. Thank you

bluemarlin

If fishing is your goal don't waste your time anywhere along the 140 miles of Keys other than Islamorada.
I lived in Islamorada for 20 years fishing for a living out of Bud n Mary's.
If you're planning on being there during lobster season, you could rent a small boat fairly cheap and drag someone behind the boat wearing a mask/snorkel to find lobsters on the reef. I can't tell you how many times I got them jumping off the rock at slack tide under the bridges... There's a lot better deals than $2400 for swordfish that I could turn you onto w top shelf captains too.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I'm going to work up a budget, I may make some reservations since they are free cancellations.

doomtrpr_z71

Yes, we are driving. I was also thinking of dry Tortuga's as well. I will look into the other stuff. Thank you
I have stayed at the Everglades rod and gun club, it's a little out of the way off tanami trail but it was worth it to me for the history, I have pictures I can post if your interested. It would be worth fishing that area even if all you had was a kayak.

Dr. Strangelove

If you make it to Key West, "The Garden Of Eden" bar is a must-see. It has a great roof-top view of Duval Street. Last week of October is usually the best week for Key West.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I have stayed at the Everglades rod and gun club, it's a little out of the way off tanami trail but it was worth it to me for the history, I have pictures I can post if your interested. It would be worth fishing that area even if all you had was a kayak.
I would love to see some pics

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
If you make it to Key West, "The Garden Of Eden" bar is a must-see. It has a great roof-top view of Duval Street. Last week of October is usually the best week for Key West.
I do plan on trying to do something from largo all the way to key west .

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
If fishing is your goal don't waste your time anywhere along the 140 miles of Keys other than Islamorada.
I lived in Islamorada for 20 years fishing for a living out of Bud n Mary's.
If you're planning on being there during lobster season, you could rent a small boat fairly cheap and drag someone behind the boat wearing a mask/snorkel to find lobsters on the reef. I can't tell you how many times I got them jumping off the rock at slack tide under the bridges... There's a lot better deals than $2400 for swordfish that I could turn you onto w top shelf captains too.
I will look into this, I will get back with you on the captains.

Limitless

Islamorada and Cudjoe would be my "base camps" and explore the other keys from them. Islamorada is in the 80s mile markers and Cudjoe in the 20s. In Cudjoe at Venture Out you rent a manufactured home short term for a reasonable price and kayak easily to the back side for great inshore fishing. You would need a boat to get to the Contents and a rental would be well worth it - good fishing and lobstering. In Islamorada look at one of the Bay side small places to stay, my favorite is Kon-Tiki, and from there you can kayak to some great flats and channels for Trout, Reds, Snook, Bonefish and Tarpon shots.
Be advised, most rentals of private residences in the Keys are minimum 1 month, but places like Venture Out and small "cabin motels" like Kon-Tiki you can rent short term.