Help With Bandsaw

gunnurse

I need a new bandsaw for my shop. I am looking for a 14” saw that I don’t have to take out a second mortage for. Anybody have any suggestions?

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
If you take a little time some good used deals can be found on CL or FB Marketplace. What are you cutting wood, metal??

Rockler is having a 30% off floor model sale in store only. There are two stores around the Hotlanta area.

bassboy1

The old US made 14" delta is the standard by which all are compared. 14" powermatic is arguably a bit better in my eyes, but costs a bit more, and are harder to find.

Ideally, find one of those two on the used market.

Most of the new 14" saws (Grizzly, Rigid, etc), are clones of the old tried and true 14" Delta, with varying levels of quality, if you have to buy new.

Cmp1

BANNED
The old US made 14" delta is the standard by which all are compared. 14" powermatic is arguably a bit better in my eyes, but costs a bit more, and are harder to find.

Ideally, find one of those two on the used market.

Most of the new 14" saws (Grizzly, Rigid, etc), are clones of the old tried and true 14" Delta, with varying levels of quality, if you have to buy new.
Ridgid would have the lifetime warranty,,,,

gunnurse

Wood cutting.

flyrod444

Old delta can't be beat in the 14" size range. Powermatic would be worth a look if buying new. I taught high school shop for 30 years and in that time used many brands of tools. Powermatic proved to be the best of the Chinese made tools. We bought a 18" jet band saw that I spent almost as much time working on as using. Had to replace tires within two years. When I set up my home shop for my retirement I bit the bullet and bought MiniMax which has giving me zero problems over ten years of use. They are made in Italy. I have always tried to buy tools for my personal use made anywhere else but China. Only tool in my home shop made there is my 8" bench grinder. American grinder was 4 times the price of delta made in. China.

Redbow

I don't know who made the Craftsman for Sears years ago but my Stepdad had one and so did one of my neighbors there were excellent saws..

believer

I have two Rikon bandsaws. one is a 14" the other a 10". bought both at Highland Woodworking in Atlanta. Both have served me well. The real trick is the right blades. Wide enough to get good tension and the appropriate tooth arrangement to move the waste out while you are cutting. Good luck with whatever you land on.

Cmp1

BANNED
I have two Rikon bandsaws. one is a 14" the other a 10". bought both at Highland Woodworking in Atlanta. Both have served me well. The real trick is the right blades. Wide enough to get good tension and the appropriate tooth arrangement to move the waste out while you are cutting. Good luck with whatever you land on.
Almost bought one,,,,

PCNative

I second the Rikon. I have a 10-326, it's a 14" saw with a 13" re-saw capability and has a tool-less spring loaded guide system which is great, 1 3/4 hp motor and it also has a 5 yr. warranty. You can find it for just under 1000.00 on sale. Believer's post above is correct, proper blade for the job is very important. Research this one and read reviews before you buy.

gunnurse

Both. I have a 10” Rikon that I bought when they were still green. I can use it to cut curves, but would prefer to have a dual purpose saw.

madsam

Rikon 14" for me . I bought from Highland yrs. ago. Highland is always
running good sales on there bandsaws. Google Highland Woodworking ,
cool online catalog. Also, I would suggest ordering carbon tipped blades
at all widths.....

gunnurse

I decided on the Porter Cable 14” saw from Lowe’s. $569.00 retail. The box was damaged, obviously from a fall/drop. I was adamant about a discount for damaged packaging. The tools/hardware manager immediately came off 25% for a potentially damaged saw. Then, I paid for the saw wi,th my Lowe’s credit card, and got an additional 5% off. Total cost- $417.00. I went and paid $400.00 on my Lowe’s credit card.

Now, I can resaw 6”, and have a 13.75 work table.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Now you need to get you a portable base for it @gunnurse