Help with ID

dixie

I brushhhogged six plots Wed., two were THICK with grain sogrum and grasses, with some brassica mix it, right in the middle of the thickest stuff on one of them there was a bare spot, bout the size of a #3 washtub, some of the brassica had been pulled up, other of it had been pushed over and almost torn out of the ground, the plot had deer trails all in it, I don't think a deer would have done that and from what I've heard a hog would have gotten it all, any ideas on a critter that feeds that way? Looked for scat, didn't see any. oh, one other thing, the dirt wasn't torn up except where the plants had been.

Last edited:

gadeerwoman

The deer sure pulled my brassicas up last fall. Pulled and dug up every single turnip on them too. Bare ground for the entire plot. Not sure why they would that in only 1 area though if it was deer. Did the ground look scratched up or just plants pulled out of the soil?

dixie

Sandra, it was just in that one spot, right in the middle of the thickest part of the plot, like I said, about the size of a #3 washtub, where it was so SO thick, I couldn't see it til I had cut almost to it, I had noticed the trails but really didn't think much about them the whole plot was full of beds so I wasn't really looking for anything special, then there this bare spot is, ground wasn't torn up, just the foliage gone and some looked like it was started to be pulled up, or pushed over. I was talking to a guy this morning and he thought it might have been a bear, but it seems way to early for them to be moving down yet.

Last edited:

PHIL M

Gone But Not Forgotten
Ive noticed spots in food plots where deer bed down at night. could this be what your seeing?

dixie

thanks for the suggestions guys, I had forgotten but some of my guys had said something last year about dillos, I'd bet thats what did it. One other thing, I've made a LOT of half grown rabbits homeless, I just quit counting them, they were EVERYWHERE in them.

Last edited:

gadeerwoman

If it is dillas, you should be seeing some holes dug all thru the plots too. And if you find those, be careful bush hogging! Them things got into a bad habit of digging huge holes in my clover plots. and I wouldn't see them until I was right on them mowing. Some could cause a tractor to turn over it you hit it right. Took some thinning out of the population to stop it.

dixie

humm may not be dillos then, I didn't anything that looked like that anywhere.

Jkidd

dixie said:
t. One other thing, I've made a LOT of half grown rabbits homeless, I just quit counting them, they were EVERYWHERE in them.

When ever your ready after deer season just let me know :) I got the dogs and you got the rabbits..... put em together and you gots yourself a heck of a time :)

Jason

dixie

T, with the new plots, and as thick as that stuff was, I wanted to get it down and rotting. We'll spray about the first of Aug and I want it to set about two weeks before I start my plowing appox the 15th of next month and seed about the third week. On the other plots, I'll just turn it all in and plant a annual fall and winter mix on. these are a part of the six new plots and I use all that green stuff to help build the soil up. We have the poorest soil in North GA to work with. T I should have told you first, these are six new plots, just worked the first time this spring, what we did was, take 8-9 leftover partial bags of seed mixes, some of them 4-5 years old and made a seed "cocktail" we had NO idea what, if anything would come up. I've ended up with a nice stand of brassica in one old plot we reseeded this spring.

Last edited:

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Armadillos are destructive little beast. I carry my trusy little .380 on my hip everytime I'm at the hunting camp during the summer. "Little AK" is my pistols name. "AK" stands for Armadillo Killer!!

I shoot every dillo I can.

Tommy