Help with Iowa archery draw

bilgerat

Senior
Would some one please explain the Iowa archery tag draw system to me please. Ive been on their web site but I guess Im not the smartest person in the world cause I cant figure out , from what I gather you put in and pay each year and it takes several years to get drawn depending on which zone you put in for ., What I d like to know is the cost to get a rejection point each year and can you change your zone selection from year to year with out starting over?

Keith Karr

The preference points were around $55 the last time I bought one. I’m sitting on 4 now so may be more than $55 since I’ve not purchased any in the last few years.

Points are good state wide....you aren’t locked into using them in any certain zone.

Drawing in the south central and south east zones for archery will take 4 points at least. Less points are needed in the rest of the state and drawing for shotgun or muzzleloader will take less points than archery.

Pm me if you like.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
What Keith said^^^^

bilgerat

Senior
Thanks Keith, Ill be putting in for sw Iowa, My outfitter is based out of NW Missouri and has a few farms across the state line, Hope to hunt one of them.

Last edited:

Keith Karr

Good luck Bilgerat with the draw and hunt ! You should be able to search Iowa DNR for the draw stats and see how many points it’s taking for that area.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Thanks Keith, Ill be putting in for sw Iowa, My outfitter is based out of NW Missouri and has a few farms across the state line, Hope to hunt one of them.

Let me know and I will get you with our outfitter in IA as well. Takes very few hunters Austin is a great family guy who will work his behind off for you and we got in both times with 2 points. Just SE of Iowa City

https://www.facebook.com/brokenbrow

1st year there in 2015

https://forum.gon.com/threads/new-b...ive-from-the-tree-2015-ii.856686/post-9834862

bilgerat

Senior
Let me know and I will get you with our outfitter in IA as well. Takes very few hunters Austin is a great family guy who will work his behind off for you and we got in both times with 2 points. Just SE of Iowa City

https://www.facebook.com/brokenbrow

1st year there in 2015

https://forum.gon.com/threads/new-b...ive-from-the-tree-2015-ii.856686/post-9834862
Thanks Jim, That area yall hunted was nice looking. Is that zone 8? I remember those threads of yalls trips to Iowa, That was back when I was going to Ontario every year and had a lot of catching up when I got home. Im gonna start getting rejection points this year, Maybe Ill live long enough to hunt Iowa.::;

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Thanks Jim, That area yall hunted was nice looking. Is that zone 8? I remember those threads of yalls trips to Iowa, That was back when I was going to Ontario every year and had a lot of catching up when I got home. Im gonna start getting rejection points this year, Maybe Ill live long enough to hunt Iowa.::;

I think south eastern side of 7

Jim Boyd

Great chart and great buck, RVM.

I am sitting on 5 points so it looks like I am just waiting on the right year.

Retiring in two years - that is my probable target.

Best of luck to all.

oppthepop

My son and I went this past November. We had 5 points and hunted south central Iowa with MDL Outfitters. I HIGHLY recommend them! A young, ex military guy, Matt Peterson, is the one-man show with that outfit and there are none better in my opinion. I got a 156 5/8" eight point, stuck a 190" buck but not fatal, and my son hunted a near booner 8 point for 8 days with no shot opportunity but passed multiple 140-150" deer. It was truly the hunt of a lifetime for us.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
You were hunting close to where we go then. I know Matt he's a good guy and has been on some big bucks the past 3 seasons. I have a good buddy that is in the same general area that "guides" us when we draw around Bloomfield.

oppthepop

You were hunting close to where we go then. I know Matt he's a good guy and has been on some big bucks the past 3 seasons. I have a good buddy that is in the same general area that "guides" us when we draw around Bloomfield.
Oh wow! Small world for sure. Yep, Matt is as good as they come for the style of hunting we like. "Here's your farm. here's where three stands are. You have the farm THE ENTIRE SEASON." Let me know if you need me or if you kill a deer." My kind of hunting.