Help with Motorguide Xi5

ryanh487

I have a 2 month old Motorguide Xi5 24v 80 lb trolling motor on my boat. A few weeks back the factory installed mounting platform on the boat failed and ripped off, causing the whole motor to fall into the lake but was caught before sinking. The mount is now permanently secured but the trolling motor is stone dead.

the power lead disconnected from behind the outlet before it hit the water so no power was flowing when it got wet. No breakers are tripped and i'm getting a full 25.5v at all power contacts in the trolling motor from the input to the upper unit and the lower unit. I replaced the control board on recommendation from motorguide (there isn't an active authorized warranty service center within 100 miles). Still nothing at all. I've ordered a replacement cover with the LED and wiring assembly, but i'm not sure how that would effect the motor not powering on at all.

Anybody run in to this before? I'm tired of having a $2000 hood ornament on my boat and drifting in the breeze while i'm trying to fish.

JROESEL

Oh my this sounds like dejavu, let me guess, you put a quick attach mount on and it failed??? Yep that happened to me, had to fish it out of the water with the power cable,
There is a company that I got stuff from for my xi5, PERFORMANCE SALES SERVICE, they were great to work with, very knowledgeable, if you go on there web site, they have every screw and part that you will need broke into a parts manual,
https://www.mercuryperformance.com/trolling-motor-repair
If your getting power to the head, and your not getting any functions, there could a board issue, if you open the head, it’s pretty simple to deal with,
If it’s two months old, and dealer put that mount on, I would be in there and they would give me another one to shut me up, just saying, that’s a lot of money for it not to work on behalf of someone product failing

ryanh487

Yeah that place is 8 hours away from me up here in kennesaw and I'm not about to pull this thing off and try to ship it lol.

I replaced the main board. There is not a controller in the head, just the gps module. I'm getting 25.5v on every connection.

The failure on the mount was the starboard mounting platform that mako put on the bow as the "pre wired for trolling motor" option. I mounted the motor to that board using 1" #14 stainless screws that didn't go all the way through the deck. About the 10th time I had the boat out I deployed the trolling motor and when it started up the entire starboard base came off the boat and took the trolling motor with it, only 2 screws with no adhesive had been holding it in place. I corrected that by putting down 2 oz of marine jb weld and 6, 2" #14 screws to remount it to the boat. I could hang off of it now. Mako wouldn't fix it because they claimed since I installed the trolling motor my install was at fault. I also fixed the mount myself since I didn't want to wait 2 months for the service center to get to it. Then I realized the motor was dead when I tried to use it the next trip out. Motorguide tech support said it sounded like the control board in the mount housing was fried, so I bought a new one and installed it. Still nothing but still getting full power.

JROESEL

Are there any lights on the display??? If there are lights, did you re sync your remote after it lost power?? Sometimes you have to do that after it loses power for a little while

ryanh487

Are there any lights on the display??? If there are lights, did you re sync your remote after it lost power?? Sometimes you have to do that after it loses power for a little while

No lights at all, deployed or stowed. I tried re-syncing the remote and got nothing.