High blood pressure

transfixer

Somewhat of an update. Been taking it twice a day since this post. Most days it hovers around 140/90. Last couple of days it’s been just over 150/100 a couple of times in the evening.
got a dr appt in a week. Wife going with me. This should be fun

Prbly should start watching your salt intake, you'd be surprised how much salt is in food everyone eats all the time, the Doc will tell you that of course, but the least amount of BP meds you have to take the better, I've lost a significant amount of weight since April, and my BP had come down, to the point it was almost too low, I cut one of my daily BP meds in half, and it is closer to normal, my Doc agreed, I'm going for a checkup in 3wks, hoping she will reduce a couple of my meds even further.

AceOfTheBase

TB, you're do'n the right thing going to the doc with wify ..
The old saying 4 eyes are better that 2, works for ears too.

Try to establish any signs of spiking BP, on your own.
For me it is either a slight pounding sensation in my gums/jaws, or a slight pulsing in/out of center of my vision. Once I sense that, it has already spiked and I try to take it easy, back off on everything especially coffee & salt.

Redbow

I have been on meds for high BP for many years. My Doctor put me on the meds when mine got to 140/90 when I was in my early fifties. Nothing to play around with or ignore it can be deadly as many here have said...Good luck..

oldfella1962

here is something to consider when being prescribed medication to lower your "blood pressure". In my case the first/higher reading (the systolic) is a bit high but my second/lower reading (diastolic) is a bit low. My resting pulse rate is below 60 which is lower than average - so it makes sense that my diastolic reading would be low compared to my systolic. So if I got on medication to lower my blood pressure my diastolic reading would be dangerously low and could cause me to pass out during vigorous or extended exercise.

In other words there is no blood pressure medication that will lower your systolic without lowering your diastolic along with it. Just something to be aware of.

This is from a medical article:

"You'll need medications to control isolated systolic hypertension in order to prevent health problems. But, it's important that your systolic blood pressure treatment doesn't cause your diastolic blood pressure to drop too low. If that happens, you can develop other complications."

“Physicians are busy people, and like it or not they often focus on a single number,” Guichard said. “Systolic blood pressure is the focus, and diastolic pressure is almost completely ignored.” That is a mistake, he argues. “The majority of your arteries feed your organs during systole. But your coronary arteries are different; they are surrounding the aortic valve, so they get blood only when the aortic valve closes — and that happens in diastole.”

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Trying to lose weight before he puts me on meds
I've been on blood pressure meds since my late 20's and I was running 2 miles, 3 days a week and working out 3 days a week back then. I weighed about 180 pounds and was in the best shape of my life. When I turned 31, I got lazy physically and dedicated myself to my career and work and gained over 100 pounds over the next 15 years. I was on blood pressure meds the entire time and it stayed under control. Now, I'm down to about 242 and blood pressure is still good so long as I'm on my meds. Blood pressure is a funny thing and everybody has different reasons for it. Mine seems to be hereditary in many ways. It may take your doctor a few tries to find the right combination of meds to get yours under control but I'm asking you to be patient and work with him on it. You'll end up feeling better for it and will greatly extend your life.

Buddrow

Want to decrease it naturally? Go vegetarian. I am pesco vegetarian. I eat fish a few times a week. Lowers bp and lowers cholesterol. Gives me more energy. Yes its a missed steak. But I want to see my kids graduate. Also lay off the processed foods. If you cannot pronounce ingredients then dont eat it.