High elevation private campgrounds

delacroix

BANNED
Are there any privately run campgrounds in GA up over 3000'? Something with swimming or a playground and a hot shower?

Artfuldodger

I can't think of any private campgrounds that high up. Only two state parks come to mind, Black Rock Mountain and Fort Mountain. Fort Mountain has swimming and a shower. I don't think Black Rock has swimming.

Might have to venture up into North Carolina. Maybe Hayesville or the Franklin area. That wouldn't be much further than Hiawassee or Clayton. Not really sure if they have anything at that elevation either. Most campgrounds are down in the valleys.

I remember riding through Tusquittee Campground and Cabins near Haysville when they had just opened it up. Not sure if it's still in business or of the elevation. They did have showers, a playground and a creek.
It was scenic looking. The creek and cabins were nice as well. We were looking at camping alternatives for attending the Mountain Fair. Ended up staying at Bald Mountain Campground. They had a rodeo while we were there. That was nice.

http://www.rvparking.com/nc/hayesville/tusquittee-campground-and-cabins

The mtn man

I can't think of any private campgrounds that high up. Only two state parks come to mind, Black Rock Mountain and Fort Mountain. Fort Mountain has swimming and a shower. I don't think Black Rock has swimming.

Might have to venture up into North Carolina. Maybe Hayesville or the Franklin area. That wouldn't be much further than Hiawassee or Clayton. Not really sure if they have anything at that elevation either. Most campgrounds are down in the valleys.

I remember riding through Tusquittee Campground and Cabins near Haysville when they had just opened it up. Not sure if it's still in business or of the elevation. They did have showers, a playground and a creek.
It was scenic looking. The creek and cabins were nice as well. We were looking at camping alternatives for attending the Mountain Fair. Ended up staying at Bald Mountain Campground. They had a rodeo while we were there. That was nice.

http://www.rvparking.com/nc/hayesville/tusquittee-campground-and-cabins
The tusquittee cabins are run down, I don't think it's still in business, the only campground in the area at that elevation is standing Indian, it's ran by usfs though, nice campground, but no hookups, just a dumpstation.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Dockery Lake and Lake Winfield Scott are about 2400ft and 2800ft respectively. Neither are private.

It's gonna be hot during the day just about anywhere you go these days. At least mountain air cools off considerably at night.

Artfuldodger

The tusquittee cabins are run down, I don't think it's still in business, the only campground in the area at that elevation is standing Indian, it's ran by usfs though, nice campground, but no hookups, just a dumpstation.

I thought in may have been closed. I couldn't find anything current on the net. What elevation do you reckon that was?

The mtn man

Tusqui
I thought in may have been closed. I couldn't find anything current on the net. What elevation do you reckon that was?
Tusquittee??

walters

Sandy bottoms going toward hiwassee is nice, it's not that high elevation but on a nice river. Private campground, u can swim in river, or should I say play in it

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you're willing to leave Georgia, there are at least two above 5,000 feet here in my county near Maggie/Cherokee: The private Mile High Campground on the Cherokee rez, and the Balsam Mountain Campground in the GSMNP. It is indeed a different world up there.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Not sure about elevation but whispering pines campground in morganton has a stocked creek, cabins, swimming pool,playground and free wifi if you wanna rough it,lol. The pool is said to been installed on a spring head making the water colder than a typical pool.
http://www.whisperingpinescampground.com/

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
If you're willing to leave Georgia, there are at least two above 5,000 feet here in my county near Maggie/Cherokee: The private Mile High Campground on the Cherokee rez, and the Balsam Mountain Campground in the GSMNP. It is indeed a different world up there.

Mile High Campground is the closest thing you can get to camping in Colorado without crossing the Mississippi.

The mtn man

, was out there this morning, it's about 2200ft.

The mtn man

You also have to realize the highest point in ga is about 4500ft. most land above 2500ft is not private.

Can't believe no one mentioned Lake Conasauga. It's the highest elevation lake in GA. 3,150ft.

Also Bald Mountain ball field nearby is also 3,000ft +

Both accessible by car / small RV