High Speed Net Service, what is the best for the price ??

Mac

BellSouth, DSL

Satellite TV, provider

Cable TV, provider

Tell me what ya'll have and Why??

I am still back in the dark ages with dial-up.
Must update soon, wife is teaching a online class.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Mac,

I've been with Charter Cable since the beginning and I think my internet portion of the bill runs around $40 a month.

If I'm not mistaken cable is the fastest of the various types of internet services offerred and it's pretty reliable as well.

I use mine for running my business out of the house so it has to be good.

Kdog

We have Comcast Broadband and I am very happy with it. The cost being a cable subscriber makes it around $43 per month.

Kdog

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
I also go with Comcast. If you have their cable service the internet price is $43. If no cable, the net price is $48 i think.

Also, you should consider going to VOIP phone service. It is much much less expensive that landline service. That will help offset the cost of the more expensive internet provider.

DoDahDaze

The only problem with cable is that it is a "shared" service. Speed may go down as the number of users increase. Since everyone shares the cable, security may also be an issue. DSL is not shared, it uses your dedicated phone line so no others can degrade or intercept your information. Been using DSL for about 4 years and it works great but it may not be available in all areas.

HMwolfpup

DoDahDaze said:
The only problem with cable is that it is a "shared" service. Speed may go down as the number of users increase. Since everyone shares the cable, security may also be an issue. DSL is not shared, it uses your dedicated phone line so no others can degrade or intercept your information. Been using DSL for about 4 years and it works great but it may not be available in all areas.

This is true, but most cable provider provide 3Mbps (Megabit per second) of bandwidht where as DSL is only 1.5 Mbps. I have Comcast at my house and at my office, we have 2 comcast connections and 2 BellSouth DSL connections. I have had less problems with the Comcast and have had issues with the speed not being what it is supposed to be (around 2 - 2.5 Mbps where for a commercial account it should be 5 + Mbps), but still better than DSL. Now you can get faster DSL, but they charge you more for it. I'm comparing the basic service to the basic service....oh and overall, customer service/tech support is not that good with any provider that I have worked with (SBC, PacBell, BellSouth, Earthlink, Comcast, Charter, Adelphia, and several more that I can't remember).

Nick_T

Banned
This is true, but most cable provider provide 3Mbps (Megabit per second) of bandwidht where as DSL is only 1.5 Mbps.

Any faster your pages will appear on your screen even before you think about looking for that page.

I've got Bellsouth DSL, no problems.

Nick T

DoDahDaze

There really isn't a clear winner when you compare DSL vs Cable Modem. First you should find out which is available in your area. If you have a choice between DSL vs Cable Modem then make the choice based on what is most important to you, speed, price, security, etc. I haven't had much experience with satellite but I do know that you will experience propagation delays (1/2 second for a signal to go up to a satellite and 1/2 second to return).

You might want to check out http://compnetworking.about.com/od/dslvscablemodem/l/aa111200a.htm for a discussion on both technologies.

Mac

Thanks everyone some good info Keep it coming

I have started some research:

Bellsouth is available in my area.

Charter Cable is available.

I have Direct TV Sat. service.

Comcast Don't think is available.

I live about 50 miles West of Atlanta.

BROWNING7WSM

GONetwork Member
Another vote for Bellsouth DSL..I have had it for several years with very few problems..I've had good experiences with their help support when I did have Issues..

Bigslick

i went from alltel dial-up to alltel DSL
man what a big change it's fast
so far so good . :type:

D

dave

I had BellSouth DSL

for years when I was working for BellSouth. It was pretty reliable, for the most part. I would rate it at B+.

I now have Comcast service, and it has never been down, not once. I also like the fact that it is truly 100% always-on. The modem assigns an IP dynamically. It is also much faster than DSL, although it's hard to notice unless downloading huge files. I would rate it as A+.

Both are light-years ahead of dial-up. There's no going back with either one. :banana: