High Strung Vizsla

BSFR98

I have a 3 year old Vizsla and we are having a hard time getting him his yearly shots. Last year I had to muzzle him at the vet and hold him tight while they did the shots. He pees all over me and I know he's scared. This year we tried the same but he doesn't forget anything and will not let me muzzle him at all. Yes he snaps at me. We have tried peanut butter, treats etc to try to get the muzzle on but he will have none of it. We took him to another vet and they loved on him and we walked him outside and the Vet was able to sneak one of his shots in. We still have one shot needed and temperature probe, and blood taken to complete.
If your not aware of this breed; he is a contortionist, one of the few dogs that can actually rotate their front legs like a human. They don't well with force or aggressive training so they only accept positive force training.

My thought was trying to find a vet that could use a blow dart to get the second shot in or put him asleep to get all the work done. I haven't called about this option but my wife has tried to find a large animal vet or someone that would come to our home and try to figure out a way to get this done. We have come up empty I guess we are at our wits end and was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions. We are in the NW ATL metro area.

We cannot even trim his nails. I can clean out his ears on my own but towards the end he acts like a donkey and hides from me SMH. Here is a pic of the donkey.

Attachments

• Sound Point.jpg
    Sound Point.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 48

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Oh, he is a pretty thing too. Have you tried doggie valium yet? See if your vet will prescribe you a bit of oral tranquilizer for moments like these. Slip him the mickey in food or a treat. If you can get him calm you can muzzle him at home and then take him to the vet.

BSFR98

We did try the valium or something they supplied. Didn't affect him at all this year. Even the vet said they were shocked it didn't work. Last year they gave us something that made him drunk but he still didn't want to have anything to do with it. We pretty much can't take him back to the same vet because he want even get out of the truck.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
OK, next suggestion will involve a crate, the wire kind and it will need to be a good one. Only feed him in the crate so that he goes in every day. When he needs to go to the vet shut the door and take the dog, crate and all. You could run a couple of pieces of conduit throuth the crate for handles. Conduit could also be used to pin the dog to one side of the crate for his shots.

Hillbilly stalker

I would try Strenuous exercise before the visits. Fetch with a thrower , swimming fetch, bicycle ride......whatever it takes to wear him down. You have made the muzzle a agitation trigger. Take the edge off of him first.

cactusjack

I would try Strenuous exercise before the visits. Fetch with a thrower , swimming fetch, bicycle ride......whatever it takes to wear him down. You have made the muzzle a agitation trigger. Take the edge off of him first.

This right here ^^^^^^^. I would try wearing him out first before medicating him.

I have a 3 year old Vizsla and we are having a hard time getting him his yearly shots. Last year I had to muzzle him at the vet and hold him tight while they did the shots. He pees all over me and I know he's scared. This year we tried the same but he doesn't forget anything and will not let me muzzle him at all. Yes he snaps at me. We have tried peanut butter, treats etc to try to get the muzzle on but he will have none of it. We took him to another vet and they loved on him and we walked him outside and the Vet was able to sneak one of his shots in. We still have one shot needed and temperature probe, and blood taken to complete.
If your not aware of this breed; he is a contortionist, one of the few dogs that can actually rotate their front legs like a human. They don't well with force or aggressive training so they only accept positive force training.

My thought was trying to find a vet that could use a blow dart to get the second shot in or put him asleep to get all the work done. I haven't called about this option but my wife has tried to find a large animal vet or someone that would come to our home and try to figure out a way to get this done. We have come up empty I guess we are at our wits end and was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions. We are in the NW ATL metro area.

We cannot even trim his nails. I can clean out his ears on my own but towards the end he acts like a donkey and hides from me SMH. Here is a pic of the donkey.

We are located in Buord, GA. We have a 3 yo male also. He hated the Vet at first. But my Vet has a girl there that use to work at a breeder for V's, and also trained them. She is great with Redd. He gets his shots from her, she trims and drimmels his nails and from what she says with no issues. The Dr there has a GSP and works with Redd and another V that visits there. Dr. Crosett is his name. I don't know if it is alllowed on here so message me and I can give you the name of the Vet's office.

BSFR98

I agree our next attempt will be a 10 mile hike. He wears us out for sure. Maybe a full day hunt first