Hike recommendations...

TurkeyKiller12

Looking for a few of your favorite family/kid friendly hikes to try over the next several weekends. I would say the challenge needs not exceed moderate. We done what I thought was a very fun hike at Cloudland Canyon last year and it about killed my wife. The stairs there were rough on her. We are planning on doing the marble mine hike at Sloppy Floyd park in a couple weeks. Thanks for any info.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Northwest Georgia favorites:
Pine Log Creek Trail, Hwy 140 near 411 Bartow County
Pine Log Creek Trail

4.5 miles total for East and West Loops; 3 hours steady pace; compacted soil surface; moderate to difficult.
The Pine Log Creek Trail is part of 275 acres protected as Bartow County Greenspace. The trail features a 4.5 mile compacted soil path crossing seven rustic footbridges over Pine Log Creek. From two overlooks, hikers can view Pine Log Mountain – one of the highest elevations in Bartow County’s Appalachian foothills – and the site of the Pine Log Cherokee Indian Village. The trail system includes two loops east and west and is rated moderate to difficult with rugged terrain. The eastern loop takes hikers by an early CCC quarry pond for picturesque views. Pine Log Creek Trail is open daylight to dusk to hikers only – no motorized vehicles, horses or bicycles. Hunting and fishing is strictly prohibited. As with any trail system, please do not disturb, cut or remove the natural habitat and do not litter.

See Trail Map

Directions: I-75 Exit 293, US 411 north approximately 8 miles. Turn right onto GA 140 east toward Waleska. Continue approximately three miles to Pine Log Creek Trail System parking area on left. For more information call Keep Bartow Beautiful, 770-387-5167.
---------
House O Dreams at Berry College, moderate climb, dirt/gravel road. Check in at visitor center.
Berry Trails Map
-------
Keown Falls hike at The Pocket Recreation Area, near Johns Mountain, North of Armuchee, GA Campground closed for govt shutdown, trails still open of course.
Keown Falls hike
--------
Most variety and short but fun trails, visit Desoto State Park in Fort Payne, AL. More stuff to do in one place than most anywhere. It has been our family favorite for years.
Desoto State Park trail map
Desoto State Park
--------
You know, I forgot about this site, if you want some outdoors destinations for family, this is the clearing house for sure: They are based in Calhoun, GA
PBJ Adventures

Marble mine is a favorite of ours too. You can take the short trail above the mine and it connects to the Pinhoti trail...so you can say you hiked on Pinhoti, even if it was just a couple of steps!

GT90

Give the Unicoi SP to Helen trail a look. Six miles round trip with easy to moderate sections. Start at Unicoi Lodge in the morning. Can eat lunch and do family stuff in Helen. Then hike back to the lodge. Just Google "Unicoi trail to Helen" for info.

WadeW

Check this little gem out. We bought it a couple years ago and use it periodically to go sightseeing. Each waterfall is rated for difficulty and splendor with pics and directions as well. You can pick it up on Amazon or some of the little country shops in the N. GA. Mountains.

http://www.waywardguide.com/