Hiking Trails

strothershwacker

It seems that a lot of the NF public access is often right at or near popular hiking trails. How many of y'all use these to access spots? I never run into other hunters and usually run into folks who act like there scared to death when they see that I'm a hunter. Been looking at some new ground but the trail hippies and there golden retrievers ain't diggin' my presence. Any y'all dealt with this?

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Yep, I smile and wave them through...
They do not have a monopoly on access...

I usually ask them if they've seen any bears, then tell them I've seen three in the last hour or two. On the trail. But tell them I heard them coming for a mile and so do the bears...
Sometimes I tell them there was a big copperhead on the side of the trail right down that way...

whitetailfreak

I use a certain hiking trail that runs through Cohutta and adjoining NF all the time. I don't see a lot of folks at all, but when I do, I speak and carry on with my business. I've never had a negative encounter, most are just curious.

Last edited:

splatek

UAEC
I use a certain hiking trail that runs through Cohutta and adjoining NF all the time. I don't see a lot of folks at all, but when I do, I speak and carry on with my business. I've never had a negative encounter, most are just curious.

Man I need to get to cohutta at some point... Been on the bucket list

Trench

For the last few years I have used the hiking trails at Cohutta to cover distance. I have yet to have a negative encounter with hikers and sometimes come across other hunters doing the same as me.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
I’ve encountered a couple of nasty folks, only one that I thought about punching in the face (told me I couldn’t hunt there).. The over-whelming majority of folks seem interested and loaded with questions. I think a lot of people would like to hunt, but they have no idea where/how to start..

Buckman18

Most folks are nice. Very occasionally you'll run into a dandy. Just look 'em in the eye and tell him theres a granola bar waiting for him in Atlanta, and then blow his girlfriend a kiss. Deep down she'd rather have you than him.

splatek

UAEC
I’ve encountered a couple of nasty folks, only one that I thought about punching in the face (told me I couldn’t hunt there).. The over-whelming majority of folks seem interested and loaded with questions. I think a lot of people would like to hunt, but they have no idea where/how to start..

Yep, that was me just last year....

@Buckman18 you are hilarious!!! I can attest to the fact that woman prefer the outdoorsman to the granola boy any day of the week. Just be careful when you blow that kiss, HE might get the wrong idea these days....

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I was turkey hunting this spring with The Mountain Man and we were standing in the middle of a trail listening for a distant gobbler that we were trying to close the distance on. We were right near a bend in the trail when suddenly we heard a commotion behind us, we both turned in time to see a trail runner round the bend and go into sudden cardiac arrest when he looked up and saw us not 20 feet away. Two burly, bearded mountain men in full camo and holding shotguns was about all this fella could handle. To tell the truth, I think the Mountain Man's knees got a little wobbly too.

After the dude got his heart started again, he took off running again and I'm pretty sure he spooked our bird because he shut up and we never heard him again.

D

Deleted member 35556

The best thing that we as hunters can do, is be cordial, welcoming and open with the information about what we're up to. You're going to run into some crazy people, but at the end of the day, we're all out here enjoying the outdoors. Same team people.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I was turkey hunting this spring with The Mountain Man and we were standing in the middle of a trail listening for a distant gobbler that we were trying to close the distance on. We were right near a bend in the trail when suddenly we heard a commotion behind us, we both turned in time to see a trail runner round the bend and go into sudden cardiac arrest when he looked up and saw us not 20 feet away. Two burly, bearded mountain men in full camo and holding shotguns was about all this fella could handle. To tell the truth, I think the Mountain Man's knees got a little wobbly too.

After the dude got his heart started again, he took off running again and I'm pretty sure he spooked our bird because he shut up and we never heard him again.
You are pretty durn ugly. :bounce:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

jbogg

I use public trails fairly often to access some spots on national forest. As matter fact I hiked about a mile and a half in on the Appalachian Trail for my Sunday hunt. I have not had anybody act rudely yet. I try and practice trail head diplomacy and be a good ambassador for hunting. There are lots of folks who are non-hunters but not necessarily anti-hunting. Many of them are just curious and I am happy to try to show hunters in a positive light.

Bkeepr

There is a stretch of the AT in North Georgia where hikers are required to carry food in bear-proof containers, I always thought that would be a good stretch to hunt. Haven't gotten around to it yet....

Latest posts